• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone else miss Avatar?

Raylis said:
I was disappointed with how Season 2 ended, but am very much looking forward to Season 3 in September
Actually I liked the way Season 2 ended. If you think about it, how the heroes ended up mirrors a certain immensely popular film trilogy. The heroes just got their butts handed to them, particularly the main one, who just barely avoided dying. It was a lot better than Aang just "glowing it up" and mopping the floor with the bad guys.

I was really hoping a certain antagonist would choose good in "Crossroads of Destiny," but at the same time I think it serves their character so much better that they've fallen back into old habits. Of course, said person got played like a violin by a master manipulator. At least their facial expression at the end showed they weren't so sure of the wisdom of their choice once they stopped to think about it. They did say they preferred to struggle rather than be lucky.

Although after seeing Aang with hair, I've been tempted to refer to him as the Last Hairbender. A quick check on DeviantArt showed I wasn't alone in that thought.

As for Iroh, Greg Baldwin did the voice for the super-deformed Avatar short "School Time Shipping" (which can be found on YouTube). It'll take some getting used to, but I think it'll fit. There's no easy way to replace a voice as distinctive as Mako's.

JoeBlank said:
Thanks to this thread, I was reminded that my sons and I still have not seen season 2. We watched the first season on DVD, and were waiting for the second to come out. I think the full season releases later this month.

We should have that done in time to start watching season 3.
It comes out on September 11th according to Amazon, so 10 days should be more than enough time.

F5

Explorer
Randolpho said:
I agree, Mako will be missed. I wonder if his death is the reason it's taken so long to get Season 3 rolling.

On the plus side, his replacement Greg Baldwin (I *think* no relation) has supposedly studied as his voice double for many years.

I think Greg Baldwin actually did voice Iroh in a few episodes...not all the way through, but I recall seeing Iroh credited to both Mako and Baldwin in a couple of episode summaries, I think. And going back to re-watch one of those episodes I couldn't really tell the difference.

If I can find them again, I'll post links.

It bodes well for his performance in Season 3, if it's true and not just my fevered inagination (literally fevered, I've got like a 103+ degree fever...I'm lucky I'm not claiming to remember when Avatar Roku appeared to me in person and revealed how the last episode ends, and then flew off to play quiddich with Harry Potter).

sniffles

First Post
Randolpho said:
I agree, Mako will be missed. I wonder if his death is the reason it's taken so long to get Season 3 rolling.

On the plus side, his replacement Greg Baldwin (I *think* no relation) has supposedly studied as his voice double for many years.
I hadn't been following what was going on with the series. I didn't realize they were actually going to try to replace Mako as Iroh's voice.

I'm ambivalent about that. I'm not sure which would have been better, to replace him or remove Iroh from the series.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see how the replacement works.

SteelDraco

First Post
sniffles said:
I hadn't been following what was going on with the series. I didn't realize they were actually going to try to replace Mako as Iroh's voice.

I'm ambivalent about that. I'm not sure which would have been better, to replace him or remove Iroh from the series.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see how the replacement works.
I'm biased, but I'm glad they're keeping Iroh. He's my favorite character. Considering how things are going at this point, I wouldn't be too surprised if he joined up with Aang and Company. Or, he might stay where he is and try and do some good. The split nature of the narrative has always appealed to me, and I think it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining to see Zuko's side of the story without Iroh there.

Although, being the Wise Old Mentor that he is, the poor guy's days are numbered. Narrative structure just about demands that he get Obi-Wanned at some point. Then again, narrative structure would have suggested that
Zuko would turn good
, too. The show has pleasantly surprised me in that regard.

SteelDraco said:
Then again, narrative structure would have suggested that
Zuko would turn good

He did
go good
for a short while (a very short while). He just didn't stay that way. :D

What I like is that when Azula first showed up I was, "Man, how are they going to turn her good?" After about 1/2 way through Book: Earth was I was thinking, "Wait a minute... she's not showing any empathy or honour." And now at the end of 2nd season I'm all, "That girl is no-holds barred, full-throttle, shoot-a-man-in-the-back, all-hands-on-deck e.v.i.l. Man! I love dem evil babes!"

What can I say... I've got a thing for girls that scare me.

Victim

First Post
Loincloth of Armour said:
He did
go good
for a short while (a very short while). He just didn't stay that way. :D

What I like is that when Azula first showed up I was, "Man, how are they going to turn her good?" After about 1/2 way through Book: Earth was I was thinking, "Wait a minute... she's not showing any empathy or honour." And now at the end of 2nd season I'm all, "That girl is no-holds barred, full-throttle, shoot-a-man-in-the-back, all-hands-on-deck e.v.i.l. Man! I love dem evil babes!"

Heh. It'd be funny if she was the firebender who turns "good" and teaches Aang, so she can take over the Fire Nation. Of course, Zuko would have to outmanuever her somehow for her to want to do that.

Randolpho

First Post
SteelDraco said:
Although, being the Wise Old Mentor that he is, the poor guy's days are numbered. Narrative structure just about demands that he get Obi-Wanned at some point. Then again, narrative structure would have suggested that
Zuko would turn good

I think he always was good. You can be good and still have a moment of weakness or "evil-seeming" flaw. Iroh and Zoko's mother are the reason's he's good. Desperation for a father's love is the reason he's so determined to bring in the Avatar.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads