• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does anyone play True 20?

Do you play True 20?

• Yes

Votes: 32 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 133 71.1%
  • Don’t wake me up with your silly questions!

Votes: 22 11.8%

Psion

Adventurer
Nomad4life said:
CONS: Some players don’t like the skill system setup. No official setting (yet.) Core rules still in need of minor editing in several places.

No official setting? Just what is Blue Rose then?

Nomad4life

First Post
Psion said:
No official setting? Just what is Blue Rose then?

Blue Rose is a separate game from stand-alone True20. They are very similar, but there are also substantial differences. They do both fly under the “True20” banner, though.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Let's see... some of the games I've been involved in...

Siege of Ebonring Keep with Arcana Unearthed as a player.

Slavelords of Cydonia w/Black Company as a GM.

Masks of Nyolethrop in 3.5 as a player.

FR campaign as a player. (6th level topped off at)

City of the Spider Queen, as a player.

FR campaign as a GM. (topped off at 10th level)

Warhammer cmapaign as a player. (And potentially again real soon!)

Shackled City as a GM.

Midnight as a Player.

Fading Suns d20 version as a player.

Some OGL stuf and some variant stuff, could be more if I wanted to play one of my buddies HARP games but I've never been too fond of his GMing style. Probably some more in there somewhere but mostly D&Dish games.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I'd like to but we tend to switch games about once a year. It might be a couple years before we get there, unless someone shiny catches our eye. Me, I'd like to run that, and Iron Heroes, but don't have the time.

Galethorn

First Post
I'm currently running two True20 campaigns, and my group loves the system.

One is a fairly 'standard' fantasy; orcs, elves, demons, kings, castles, peasants, etc., with a fairly low overall level of magic; just a few magicians here and there, and the occasional shaman and evil cultist. I run this game weekly, pretty much.

The other one's title is fairly specific; Sky Pirates. It takes place in a 'new world' kind of setting and has flying ships, floating cities, etc., along with nations of wizards, all sorts of spirits and demons, and lots of swashbuckling adventure. This is the once-a-month game for the people with busier schedules than the 'core 4' who don't have jobs and haven't gone off to college yet.

My group really, really likes True20. After the first few test-sessions, we made some simple modifications, and then we got used to it. Everyone especially likes the 'supernatural powers' (magic) system; several who always avoided spellcasters in D&D (because they found them boring) have made them in True20 and are having a lot of fun with them.

I've found that it's not nearly as mind-numbingly complex at high levels as D&D/D20m/Grim Tales due to the lack of iterative attacks and spells with three paragraphs describing the effects.

Long story short, it's perfect for those of us who want something more, well, down-to-earth than D&D, but still want heroics, but also want streamlined combat.

Nomad4life

First Post
Quasqueton said:
What does the name "True20" mean. I assume the "20" part is reference to d20. What does the "True" part refer to?

Quasqueton

Just that you only need one 20-sided die to play. All mechanics are resolved in a consistent manner. In other words, no d4, d6, d8, d12, etc are needed.

Heh. I never thought about it before I got True20, but the term “d20” is technically inaccurate? ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads