D&D 5E Does anyone who got an mm at Gencon want to offer up spoilers to us?

JoeCrow

Explorer
In my campaign world, there's a little-known secret that bothers the hell out of the wise: elves and orcs CAN interbreed, but the result is always a perfectly ordinary human being.

Unadvisedgoose

First Post
I figured I should ask this here.

I'm currently planning an Abjuration Wizard, and looking at the mid to high level abjuration spells... Do high CR rating spellcaster's have any way of getting around counter spell, dispel magic, globe of invulnerability, anti-magic field, and the like? It seems crazy that you could potentially neuter something as iconic as a Lich with a 6th level spell.

I figured I should ask this here.

I'm currently planning an Abjuration Wizard, and looking at the mid to high level abjuration spells... Do high CR rating spellcaster's have any way of getting around counter spell, dispel magic, globe of invulnerability, anti-magic field, and the like? It seems crazy that you could potentially neuter something as iconic as a Lich with a 6th level spell.

Not being able to match the Lich for high level spells. Anti magic field and globe being stationary. Dispel magic only ends active effects.

Unadvisedgoose

First Post
Not being able to match the Lich for high level spells. Anti magic field and globe being stationary. Dispel magic only ends active effects.

Nope. Just double checked to be sure. They're both auras that are centered around the caster. And extend 10 feet. So you could theoretically pack in close to the wizard and move in together to waylay the mighty Lich.

Nope. Just double checked to be sure. They're both auras that are centered around the caster. And extend 10 feet. So you could theoretically pack in close to the wizard and move in together to waylay the mighty Lich.
Yes you are right. Still the Lich can also just ignore this as the caster can't cast magic in the sphere. So he could just leave until they turn it off.

Unadvisedgoose

First Post
Yes you are right. Still the Lich can also just ignore this as the caster can't cast magic in the sphere. So he could just leave until they turn it off.

I guess that was my question. He can just... Leave? And yeah, the Mage can't cast offensively but all the other members that utilize physical attacks get to attack freely, essentially. I just didn't know if they had any kind of abilities to stop tactics like this. It's not a huge deal if they can't, I was just curious.

I guess that was my question. He can just... Leave? And yeah, the Mage can't cast offensively but all the other members that utilize physical attacks get to attack freely, essentially. I just didn't know if they had any kind of abilities to stop tactics like this. It's not a huge deal if they can't, I was just curious.

Well the Lich has magic to escape senario's it can't win. Another thing it can do is just run into the Anti Magic field and touch the caster that should kaput the Anti magic field.

Globe is immobile as well.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I'm actually really curious about orcs in 5e.

What color are they? They did some minis a while ago, and they were blueish-gray. Magic: The Gathering is reintroducing orcs, and they're blueish-gray there too. The half-orc in the PHB is purple.

Also, what's the deal with the various orc hybrids? According to the PHB, half-orcs are the result of a "marriage" between an orc and a human. I wonder if the, uh, other way results in a normal orc?

The orcs in the MM are grey to purple, depending on the light, but according to my wife, you shouldn't really trust the names I give to colors. :)

Luthic, the orc goddess of fertility, demands frequent, indiscriminate procreation. When an orc breeds with something of roughly the same size and shape (examples given are humans and dwarves), the offspring is either a full or or a half-orc. Ogrillons are mentioned here, also. There is no discussion of marriage. Neither is the word "rape" used, though I'd say it's implied.

The lich has a frightening gaze. DC 18 Wisdom save. If you fail, you are frightened, so you can't approach him. The gaze is a legendary action, so he doesn't have to do it on his turn. If I'm DMing the lich, and the wizard walks up with anti-magic field, I probably do that.

Also, in his lair, he can summon the spirits of those he's killed there, which will make short work of most wizards.

Thaumaturge.

Eejit

First Post
The lich has a frightening gaze. DC 18 Wisdom save. If you fail, you are frightened, so you can't approach him. The gaze is a legendary action, so he doesn't have to do it on his turn. If I'm DMing the lich, and the wizard walks up with anti-magic field, I probably do that.

So, grapple and blindfold in an anti-magic field? ;)

Remove ads