does cheese go bad in a bag of holding?

Moto Jojo

First Post
My players are experimenting with a bag of holding that they recently found (they're sorta new players, and this is the first bag of holding for them... hehehe), and maybe a month ago game-time, they put a hunk of cheese in the bag of holding, and marked down a cheese-check-date when they wanted to pull it out again and see if it had gotten stinky. That date will roll around when we play tomorrow, and I haven't decided yet if food kept in a bag of holding stays better preserved than it would if it were in your regular pack. *:cool:

What do you think? I'm sure there are no specific rules for this, so I'm looking to go with something that'll ultimately provide a few laughs. Maybe the time the cheese spends in the extra-dimensional space ages it in a way that can't happen in the real world, and they end up with a previously unknown variety of cheese!

(I posted this thread in the Rules Forum first, but after posting I realized the responses would probably focus on rules ramifications, and not on creative things to do with the bag of holding. Please feel free to post weird ideas! The players don't think of the bag as a "Bag of Holding" specifically, so I'm free to add unusual quirks if I feel like it.)

trentonjoe

Explorer
I would not only make it stinky I would make everything else they took out of the bag smell like cheese for awhile.

PC: "I take the gold out of the bag of holding to pay for the horse."

DM: " As you open up the bag a blast of foul smelling air escapes from it. As you fiddle around for the gold you feel something squishy. You remove the coins to find that they stink and they are covered with a purtid bkue and white mold. The merchant makes a comment about hygene methods. The horse doesn't look particulary happy about being purchased by you either."

Terraism

Explorer
My first thought was that there wasn't any air in the bag. However - I think I was wrong. (Just seeing the other comments clued me in.) There might not be a *lot* of air, but I suppose there is some. I figured that with no air, the cheese wouldn't go bad, but... hmm. Maybe if they stuck something in there that'd use up the air real quick... :D

Remove ads