• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does "Fantasy Role Playing" attract people who have a hard time in reality?

eyebeams

Explorer
I wish gamers were better tippers. The one constant I hear about LARP groups and cons from service employees is that they're terrible tippers. So please, leave a decent gratuity!

shilsen said:
See what I mean :D?

I've got this bird's eye view
and it's in my brain
clarity has reared
its ugly head again
so this is real life
you're telling me
and everything
is where it ought to be

I like your nerve
I like watching you
but I don't watch what I'm doing
got better things to do
so this is real life
you're telling me
now I'm lost in shock
your face fits perfectly - Magazine, "Definitive Gaze"

William drake

First Post
The TRUTH

PwrMnky said:
I was thinking about this today.

"Does 'fantasy role playing' attract people who have a difficult time in reality?"

Does it attract people who are passive aggressive, or who would like to control EVERY aspect of their lives?

I understand this is not a blanket statement. That I'll receive responses that start off with "not everybody in D&D is ..." or "there are some people ..."

But instead of playing the line, do you think there is an identifiable amount, that is large enough to warrant this observation?

... just thinking.

Yes...and really, anyone who says otherwise is more than likely one of those people and wish not to see themselves as such. We all know the kind, we all try to avoid certain types...we can see them coming; we don't want the guy with the anger issues in our game, or the person who loves Rp'ing, but can't seem to talk to others or be around them well except when it's in a chat room and he can see his 3D hero that he wishes he was. Nor do we want the guy who smells but loves to play the ever so clean and charming elven bard, or the guy who secretly is into violence, and brings it into the game. This is not the place for someone to take out their abnormal rage and angst for the fact that they are in their thirties and still are pushing carts at Kroger, or still working at Blockbuster. Role Playing is not therapy; and escape maybe...

*And, if anyone wishes to debated what the two are, that’s for another time less we digress.*

Role Playing, like many things, attracts certain types of people. (Think of a sport, or another group activity...now think about those who participate...do most, if not all of them have a lot of similarities?) Now, that’s true, but it doesn't mean that those with SOME of the issues above, and many that aren't mentioned (think about them, and you'll name a few) are all bad, strange, or off their meds as much as sometimes we may think. As gamers, we must first try to meet and except others, who, like ourselves love the hobby...then, just like any group, if that person doesn't fit then the group is free to say that it's time for them to go.

Trust me, I've had my fair share of players throwing things, and yelling as if their car had been broken into, but instead, their character had lost a level or his sword got broken. UNSTABLE MUCH. Yes, sheet or dice throwing is a sure sign that you've got someone among you that shouldn't be there. Some actions, screaming, cursing, throwing things: gen concepts of a temper tantrum....over a GAME...isn't acceptable behavior, ever and I don't care what the reason for it may be. My answer, to one player of the game that I wasn't the DM was "Grow up, and get out."

I bet if someone posted a blog about "describe the players that made your cring, made you wish that they weren't in your house; or worse, you had a sick feeling about the fact that they know knew where you lived." I bet, if then after that, you put them into sections, you could catagorize most, if not all of them into a system that would allow you to see them coming in the future.

Its like this "the guy who keeps asking for matches, the same guy who seems to always have band-aid on his fingers, yeah, he shouldn't be allowed to play with fire."

Now, to throw myself in the mix. I’m a “world builder”and get upset when the DM *when I’m not DM’ing” doesn’t take enough time: five min, or two days depending on how quickly the plot and story comes to every DM, to run the game well. SO, that means, I’m a bit of a controller about how a story is laid out, but that comes from my writing background...so NANA. I’m also, at times, a pleaser....as long as I’m the only one that’s getting bothered, once I see that my players, or other gamers are getting upset with another gamer or group within the group, then I say my mind so that perhaps the game can be reorganized to work better. Perhaps without certain people.

I think I’ve said my peace....your thoughts.

Game On.

JDJblatherings

First Post
Mistwell said:
I'd say yes. Games in general, including board games, tend to attract a somewhat higher percentage of people who are less socially adjusted than the average.

Ever been to a Hokey game? Soem of those fans are way over the top and clearly are not very socially adjusted.

Paranoia833

First Post
Given most of the gamers I've met I would say that, yes, gaming does lend itself to people who have a hard time interpesonalising. I think it's a mistake to assume this means there's any increased tendancy towards violence of any kind beyond an inordinate interest in ancient weaponary. Most roleplayers I know wouldn't hurt a fly which, if anything seems to be the problem (you wouldn't believe some of the stuff our society munchkin was allowed to get away with because people didn't want to hurt his feelings, which is odd because when asked not to do certain stuff he's generally pretty okay about it).

It's the same deal with superhero comics really. The medium, by it's very nature is about escapism/empowerment and naturally appeals to people who want that kind of freedom in real life. I think the mistake is in assuming that the majority of people who desire this are particularly 'weird' in day to day life.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Mistwell said:
I agree that MMORPGs attract the less socially adept, on average. However, I have not found that to be the case with sports. For both playing sports and watching sports, in my experience those people on average tend to have better social skills than the average, not worse.
Word.

If I go into my local sporting goods store, I notice that the customers are all pretty much normal-looking. If I go to the local comic book/gaming store, I immediately notice that a good percentage of the customers resemble "the mutants at table 9" from the movie The Wedding Singer.

JRR_Talking

First Post
ok...whoever said sports fans are socially adjusted please got to an english football match

or, in my two month limited experience of being in canada a) any ice hockey game b) people who hunt, which is very scarey. Aside from that Canada was amazing and id move there if i had the chance.

I RPG loads and have done for 25 years. I still play twice a week. IME people who have some outside issue/life pressure thing going on game much less, cancel more, etc. I think the internet and online stuff is betta for the unsocial types. To tabletop u have to spend time with 3 to 6 other real people so you gain some social skills.

Maybe im lucky that ive never rpged with anyone who seemed even slightly unstable. Most of my close friends are rpgers, are married, have kids, have professional jobs etc.

Blimey im rambling...erm i say no to the OP!

John

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
PwrMnky said:
I was thinking about this today.

"Does 'fantasy role playing' attract people who have a difficult time in reality?"

Does it attract people who are passive aggressive, or who would like to control EVERY aspect of their lives?

I understand this is not a blanket statement. That I'll receive responses that start off with "not everybody in D&D is ..." or "there are some people ..."

But instead of playing the line, do you think there is an identifiable amount, that is large enough to warrant this observation?
Never in my experience. I've heard stories, but honestly never seen it myself.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich

Insecure people will latch onto something they can master for this aspect of control, and games like D&D are a perfect crutch to mastery, to control that people lack in their own lives. That's part of why the game is fun, too, though: that escapist fantasy heroics where the good guys win and the bad guys loose.

It's not exclusive to D&D, but, yes, D&D does attract these types of people.

PwrMnky

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
Insecure people will latch onto something they can master for this aspect of control, and games like D&D are a perfect crutch to mastery, to control that people lack in their own lives. That's part of why the game is fun, too, though: that escapist fantasy heroics where the good guys win and the bad guys loose.

I think that is basically my observation. You word it perfectly. And that's what i've noticed.

I myself have a degree in communication and interpersonal communication, and in life (in general) I'm very direct. I tell people what I want, and I don't mince words.

I find that many of the people I game with/have gamed with ... are pleasers or controllers. But like I said, I can also find those people in the office.
But in a group dynamic where we all need to work together to even PLAY ... it's weird to have people ALWAYs want to play the lone wolf, or ALWAYS want to play the most powerful character.

When I was younger I used to play all these wild obscure characters (half orcs, female hot fighters ...) I find now, I play characters that closely resemble myself.

(HERE IS MY NEXT QUESTION)
Do you think that when you're more comfortable/confident with who you are, that you don't feel the need/desire to play some "other person" as much?

(what a great game to make me think of all these things!)

Remove ads