D&D 5E does it seem lke tcoe Order of scribes wizard is largely solutions in search of a problem dressed up as an archetype?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The level 14 feature, One with the word, is a step further in the 5 minutes workday.
A long rest won’t be enough! 1d6 days, but even the gritty realistic wont be satisfied!
It's true, but as it's just spells in your book and not spells you have prepared, it's pretty easy to have some spells in your book you never had any intention of preparing. It's a good emergency ability.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I would like Crawford to provide an official ruling on the ink cost. The cost of scribing a spell is from the special ink needed which this class says your magic quill provides.
At second level one can copy ones entire spell book into another spell book at no cost, So I would say that scribing is also at no cost.

G

Guest User

There is always a "catch" to a Treantmono video. There is always some presumption,
Chris makes, that is not universal, and hurts the case he is making.

Treantmonk's error in this video regarding Order of the Scribes is assuming that no DM ever alters the statblocks of monsters and NPC's, and therefore Dispel Magic is not going to be a commonly encountered spell.

Drow elves, Wizard's in Undermountain, Red Wizard's of Thay, spellcasting dragons, all of these creatures are likely to have access to a Dispel Magic effect.

A CR 12 Archmage can cast Time Stop and then Dispel Magic the OoS' Manifest Mind.
One might as well use your 14th level ability, One with the Word early, and prevent that damage..because if the BBEG is Halaster, Acererak, or someone with lots of acolytes with Dispel Magic your subclass capstone is getting negated.

Order of the Scribes is a good adventuring Wizard. The design intent, for the subclass strikes me as similar to the Champion. The abilities are rather straight forward and easy to use.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
There is always a "catch" to a Treantmono video. There is always some presumption,
Chris makes, that is not universal, and hurts the case he is making.

Treantmonk's error in this video regarding Order of the Scribes is assuming that no DM ever alters the statblocks of monsters and NPC's, and therefore Dispel Magic is not going to be a commonly encountered spell.

Drow elves, Wizard's in Undermountain, Red Wizard's of Thay, spellcasting dragons, all of these creatures are likely to have access to a Dispel Magic effect.

A CR 12 Archmage can cast Time Stop and then Dispel Magic the OoS' Manifest Mind.
One might as well use your 14th level ability, One with the Word early, and prevent that damage..because if the BBEG is Halaster, Acererak, or someone with lots of acolytes with Dispel Magic your subclass capstone is getting negated.

Order of the Scribes is a good adventuring Wizard. The design intent, for the subclass strikes me as similar to the Champion. The abilities are rather straight forward and easy to use.
Dude it costs a first level spell slot to re-summon it, vs. a 3rd level spell to dispel it. I don't think there is a "catch" there.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
1. The magical quill doesn't require ink. It's still a pen, though, so if you have your own ink then there's nothing stopping you from using it. Such as the special, magical inks required to copy a spell.

2. The magical quill requires less time when copying a spell. It doesn't say anything about costing less, just that it takes 1/60th the time. It seems intended that they don't mention a cost reduction.

3. The spellbook rules say, "The cost represents material components you expend as you experiment with the spell to master it, as well as the fine inks you need to record it." That's quite explicit that you're not just buying ink! Even if the ink were free, you still have to expend the cost on other materials.
[/QUOTE
Yes... and?

It sounds like you are trying to explain unknown things by pointing out things explicit ly quoted in the OP without the reasons why those things make for a problematic situation.

G

Guest User

Dude it costs a first level spell slot to re-summon it, vs. a 3rd level spell to dispel it. I don't think there is a "catch" there.
Assuming that you will never encounter a Dispel Magic spell, because of the default spell selection in the MM is a huge catch in my book.

The subclass was introduced in the book that has as it's raison d'etre is Player Customization. DMs could always modify monsters, but Tasha's should further reinforce that. If a sorcerer farmer can cast Magic Chicken Missiles...then a DM can swap spells from the pre-made lists.

I play defensively....the Manifest Mind ability is easily negated. Failure to recognize this in a very difficult game is going to lead to a poor ending.

But hey, man if you and TM never encounter Dispel Magic...cool. 🖖

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases