• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does teleportation negate falling damage?

mrcatman

First Post
We had this come up. A pit is 10 squares deep. An Eladrin jumps in, falling 5 squares, then uses fey step racial power to teleport the remaining 5 squares, teleporting the exact remaining distance to reach the bottom of the pit. Does this negate the falling damage altogether, or just negate 5 squares of the falling damage?

Wasn't sure what happened to the momentum of the fall after teleporting.

Thanks!

Jazlizard

First Post
I'm kinda curious as why he wanted to reach the bottom... but that aside I would rule that he just negates the damage he teleported, not the rest of the fall, otherwise your setting yourself up to where he never takes falling damage so long as he has a teleport available.

Shabe

First Post
Rule it one way or the other and then keep that in mind for future uses of teleport.

For example if it doesn't conserve momentum, then he can't use it to run and jump at a portcullis teleport 5 squares and then jump the remaining 3 squares of the 40ft moat on the other side.

Last edited:

Deltran

First Post
Ever play Portal? :)
I'm not sure if there is precedent somewhere, but I'd assume that he would still have momentum from the fall. Thus, if he teleported 5 squares down after falling 5 squares I'd say he takes 5 squares of damage.

I don't know if you want to open this can of worms, but he could teleport so his momentum is going upwards, launching him in the air and letting him land at a slower speed (2 squares of damage maybe). I'd see if the player suggests this as opposed to suggesting it to him or her.

thc1967

Explorer
It depends. His teleport is not an immediate action; it's a move action. He can only use that teleport on his turn.

If, on his turn, he wants to jump into the pit (using one move action) and then teleport to the bottom (substituting out his standard action for a second move), I'll let him do so without taking damage.

On the other hand, if he's just walking along and falls into a pit, his teleport isn't going to save him. He can't take a move action as an immediate reaction or interrupt.

If you are surprised but fall longer then a round ( about 6 seconds? ) I would let them ready an action to teleport when they see the bottom.

That doesn't mean the falling damage is negated, still in question, but I'd let them fire off the teleport in that circumstance.

am181d

Adventurer
Normally, I'd say "you don't take damage for the distance you teleport through," but keep in mind that the special effect for Feystep (or whatever it's called) is that you're moving through the Feywild. If you're falling in the Feywild or falling in our world, you'd presumably take the same damage.

Mind you, I don't think you're meant to think too hard about this. (After all, I don't think there are any rules about not Feystepping when you're in the Feywild, but realistically -- where would you go? Back to our world? How weird would that be?)

Spido

First Post
WWND? (What Would Nightcrawler Do?)

How does it work in the movie Jumpers?

So if he stepped into the pit, fell 5 squares, then teleported back up to the top of the edge of the pit, would he still take the falling damage?

If he were on a motorcycle (okay, warforged biwheeled iron steed) going 60 mph at a brick wall, then just before hitting the wall he teleports back 5 squares, does he still rocket toward the wall and slam into it, or does he fly off in the "direction" he teleported?

I'd say teleport neutralizes the momentum of prior movement and just plops you in the square you emerge into. Besides, this gives the character way more options to execute cool maneuvers.

mattdm

First Post
am181d said:
Normally, I'd say "you don't take damage for the distance you teleport through," but keep in mind that the special effect for Feystep (or whatever it's called) is that you're moving through the Feywild. If you're falling in the Feywild or falling in our world, you'd presumably take the same damage.

But the ability doesn't count against your regular movement — you move instantly. (By definition, all teleport powers work this way.) I'd rule that if you have a move action available, you can subtract up to 25 feet from the distance of your fall.

Remove ads