• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does teleportation negate falling damage?

Praesul

First Post
I really like how some people are actually discussing the question, but I have to say I'm a little disappointed at some peoples' demands that other adopt their "obviously superior" opinions.

I think including the science of the real-life effects of teleportation into a decision will help some people to maintain the suspension of disbelief while others might not care at all to think about it that much. Like people have said before, you're going to choose what you like best for your campaign. I really wish people would stop posing messages that basically say, "Stupid question, I already answered this for my particular tastes so obviously that's the correct answer for everyone else." Because it's not the correct answer for everyone else. Take your non-contribution somewhere else and let the people here continue their productive discussion.

I for one am really enjoying all the opinions one way and the other. Nobody has really convinced me to adopt one style of the other for my campaign yet. Lets hear some more!

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
There are two things going on -
1) The OP asked what the _rule_ was, and thereby the actual rule had to be said.
2) People are having a discussion of momentum with respect to teleportation

The latter is kinda cool on its own merit, but has no bearing on the question of what the rule is.

I'd argue it also has no bearing on _what the rule should be_.

I do think that people should go with a rule that is the most fun and balanced for their group. Hence why I brought up the problems with making it possible to jump down any distance and teleport a short distance to negate the fall - that's balance. I do think supporting cool teleporting flying leaps an such is fun, and supporting that is all well and good.

I don't think any ruling that requires vector math is a good idea for game design, barring a group of mathematicians an physicists who really enjoy that, more than, say, actually roleplaying itself.

And I like math.

Praesul

First Post
keterys,

You seem to be very convinced that there's some rule somewhere that spells out the specific question of momentum conservation. Where in the book does it say anything, one way or the other, about momentum conservation? As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the books that gives a firm answer to this question. Your opinion is a valid one, but don't portray is as though it's supported by the RAW when it's really just supported by your personal approach to defining ambiguous aspects of the game system.

keterys said:
There are two things going on -
1) The OP asked what the _rule_ was, and thereby the actual rule had to be said.
2) People are having a discussion of momentum with respect to teleportation

The latter is kinda cool on its own merit, but has no bearing on the question of what the rule is.
OP said:
Wasn't sure what happened to the momentum of the fall after teleporting.

Actually, the OP was asking about momentum.... altho I would agree with you that it also has no bearing on _what the rule should be_.

Since the RAW is silent on momentum, that has to be up to the individual DM. However, the RAW is not silent on available actions... which can limit the less balanced uses of teleport.

Another option would be to HR that any 'fast' entry into a teleport results in the character being 'prone' at the end of the teleport action. {not actually flat-on-your-face prone, but needing to adjust yourself before moving again...}

Spido check ten posts up from yours :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads