• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does this provoke an AofO?

reveal

Adventurer
Another thing I just thought of. When moving, you only provoke an AoO when leaving or moving through a threatened area. Entering a threatened area never provokes, so even if the cleric did move into the square, it would not provoke.

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
reveal said:
Another thing I just thought of. When moving, you only provoke an AoO when leaving or moving through a threatened area. Entering a threatened area never provokes, so even if the cleric did move into the square, it would not provoke.
Right. Additionally, you can cast a spell and then move to touch someone (in the same round). This is a tactic that should frequently be used by casters to avoid provoking AoO on touch spells while casting. So, even if the cleric was 20ft away (Medium with heavy armor), he could cast cure light wounds, move up and touch his comrade within his turn.

Taloras

First Post
Thank you. this was the position I took, as the rules seemed to support it, but the rest of the group wasnt sure. As im generally the rules guy for our group, the DM asked me to find out by next game. :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
TheEvil said:
As far as allowing a readied action to strike someone reaching into your threatened area, I believe you are now firmly in houserules territory. If I recall correctly, you don't even get an AoO against creatures with natural reach who initiate grapples, make unarmed strikes, and a host of other actions that would normally provoke and require some degree of physical contact, as long as they are standing outside your threat range. Anyone got back up for that, I can't seem to find the reference but I do know that it has been consistantly ruled that way in games I have played.

Right - if someone outside your reach attempts a disarm, for example, they are not performing a distracting act in a threatened square, and therefore do not provoke an AoO.

The 3E Main FAQ had a rule that let you use a readied action to discharge a touch spell against a natural weapon that attacked you (even if the creature was in a square out of reach), since the body part had to enter your reach to hit you... but even that didn't allow AoOs.

-Hyp.

glass

(he, him)
TheEvil said:
As far as searching a bag, backpack or any other such small container, get your #$%^& butt in that space punk! Can I search it from an adjacent space indeed! ;)

That would be a house rule also (albeit a very sensible one, IMO). By the skill description you can search from 10ft away (2 squares!).

glass.

TheEvil

Explorer
glass said:
That would be a house rule also (albeit a very sensible one, IMO). By the skill description you can search from 10ft away (2 squares!).

glass.

True, but a closed container?!? The outside of it, sure, but until it is actually opened, I don't see how you can paw through it for a potion.

glass

(he, him)
TheEvil said:
True, but a closed container?!? The outside of it, sure, but until it is actually opened, I don't see how you can paw through it for a potion.

I agree it's ridiculous, but if you can search a chest from 10 ft away (which is equally ridiculous), why should a backpack be special? :D

glass.

Last edited:

reveal

Adventurer
glass said:
I agree it's ridiculous, but if you can search a chest from 10 ft away (which is equally ridiculous), why should a backpack be special? :D

glass.

"You generally must be within 10 feet of the object or surface to be searched."

If someone lets you search inside of a chest, or backup, from 10 feet away, they really need to look up the definition of "generally." ;)

ARandomGod

First Post
No AoO.

Spellcasting does provoke, so if the fighter had reach casting the spell would provoke unless the caster made a CR check. However that wasn't the question.

The cleric makes a touch attack on the unconcious fighter to deliever the spell. Touch attacks don't provoke even if the caster IS threatened. The fighter, were he concoious, would probably not avoid the spell... But he could if he wanted to, which makes it a touch attack.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads