• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does Wildshape stack with Enlarge Person?

Meladorn

First Post
An example to better explain the question -

A 5th lvl meduim sized druid is enlarged by his trusty arcane magic weilding sidekick by the use of an enlarge person spell. He is now large and wildshapes into an animal.

Can he -

a) Wildshape only into a medium sized animal
b) Wildshape into a large animal

My reading on this is a), either because multiple magic effects that increase size do not stack (in this case enlarge person and wildshape - a supernatural ability) or the druid is now an animal, not a humaniod, so the enlarge person is no longer in effect

Other people in my group seem to think it's definitely b), that wildshaping into an animal of your current size - albiet magicaly enhanced to large work just fine

Would appreciate some opinons / clarification and any 'official' rules I could point the others towards or read myself to get a better handle on this.

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
The shape you turn into has nothing to do with the shape you were in before.

Of course, if you don't change your type you could always just toss an Enlarge Person on the wild shaper after they turn into an animal.

FEADIN

Explorer
A giant with 5 levels in the druid class can wild shape in medium animal form, not large or huge.
Enlarge person works if you don't change type.

Meladorn

First Post
Thanks for the replies

You've confirmed my own suspicions about changing type and enlarge person. Your answers also made me reconsider their argument that an ogre druid should be able wildshape into a large animal at 5th level – if you consider the reverse. Can a gnome druid only wildshape into a small animal? No I don’t think so. I can see now that the size you wildshape into has nothing to do with the size you were originally.

Sithobi1

First Post
Wait, what? Wild Shape doesn't change your type anymore...It was errataed. You could Wild Shape into a Medium animal, but because the Enlarge Person is still in effect, you'd get the extra size, str, etc.

Legildur

First Post
Sithobi1 said:
Wait, what? Wild Shape doesn't change your type anymore...It was errataed. You could Wild Shape into a Medium animal, but because the Enlarge Person is still in effect, you'd get the extra size, str, etc.
No, you are now a medium-sized animal. That is the form you wildshaped into. If you wildshaped first and then had Enlarge Person cast on you, then that would be different. (Caveat - I'm not across the polymorph/wildshape errata/nerf).

hong

WotC's bitch
It's sorta like the lesser of two evils. If wildshape changes your type, then animal growth works on you. If it doesn't change your type, then enlarge person works on you. Personally I say the best solution is to ban druids, but NOONE EVER LISTENS TO ME

Christian

Explorer
Tetsubo said:
But Enlarge Person DOES stack with the PHB II Druid variant class ability Shapeshift...

Even if your Shapeshift changes your size? My DM recently ruled that it doesn't, and FWIW, I agree with him. I can Shapeshift into Predator form and be a Large Predator with help from the wizard, but when I shift into Ferocious Slayer, Large is as big as I get.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads