• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dominion

My group really likes the game, except for Witch. That card is just the antithesis of fun. In one game, two players did nothing but buy witches until the stack was out, and due to the random selection of stacks, there weren't enough options to stop the witches. I ended up with a negative point total, and most of my hands had 2 or 3 curses.

Asmor

First Post
My group really likes the game, except for Witch. That card is just the antithesis of fun. In one game, two players did nothing but buy witches until the stack was out, and due to the random selection of stacks, there weren't enough options to stop the witches. I ended up with a negative point total, and most of my hands had 2 or 3 curses.

That's just part of the game. Particularly in the base game, if the witch is out, you need to take that into account. My usual strategy is to try and get her as quickly as possible and give out as many curses as I can; the more curses I give out and the faster I give them, the fewer that can be given to me!

Of course, there are also several ways to play around the witch. The Adventurer might be helpful, since it will fetch you coins no matter how deeply they're buried under curses. Anything that lets you get rid of curses is great, e.g. remodel, chapel. And of course if the moat is around, that's a wonderful card.

I'm really, really loving Intrigue. It adds a ton to the game; the base game is kind of like "Basic Dominion" and Intrigue is "Advanced Dominion." Slows it down a bit, but there's way more player interaction, strategic decisions to make, etc. I'll also say that curses play a much larger role in Intrigue... Not many cards in the expansion reference them specifically, but many cards bring them into play regardless (looking at you, Swindler!).

weem

First Post
A friend of mine has been talking a lot about this one for the last few weeks - looks like I need to give it a try.

Wycen

Explorer
I'm now the third person in our group with the Intigue expansion/version. Unfortunately it looks like the first guy to bring Dominion to game night is starting to tire of it. I guess we played the game too much and I can certainly see the wear on his cards!

I'm considering getting the promo cards. Though, of the two the Envoy is funner because of the interaction with your neighbor, though most of the time my luck gets me 1 more coin and multiple Actions cards, but no more actions to play them.

John Crichton

First Post
Great game!

I've only played 2-player games to this point but we've played somewhere between 75-100 of them if you include Intrigue. It's rare that a game takes longer than 45 minutes and the suggested set-ups for both sets, with the occasional exception, are really interested. We've taken to starting up with 10 random pulls and then, as the rule book suggests, swapping out one card per player after each game. We play a total of 9 games and see who gets the most wins and highest total point scores.

I picked up some euro game card sleeves to prevent higher use cards from wear and tear.

If one wanted more interaction as one poster mentioned above, the Intrigue expansion is perfect. Also, just make sure to play each game with at least 4 attack cards.

I'm really looking forward to the new Seaside expansion!

TheNovaLord

First Post
bought this 2 weeks ago and me and a circle of about 10 players have become rapid addicts to it, and have intrique as well

4 female players, who all love it too, and my 11 year old son.

Been a whole range of people winning it? does this mean its too random, dont know yet

played in 2,3,4,5,6 players games so far.

3 players is my fav size thus far i think

fab range of being very interactive, with say 5 attack cards, to not a lot

i dont the witch is that powerful at all, even with no defence cards in

found you need to read some wording very carefully..especiaslly cards that force you to trash

have bought a pack of euro cards covers, but they seem a bit too tight to me

it is my fav boardgame, i play lots, but buy very few

Asmor

First Post
Been a whole range of people winning it? does this mean its too random, dont know yet

As with any card game, luck does play a part. But a good dominion player should beat a poor dominion player pretty consistently, if not 100% of the time. Luck comes into play more when everyone's on equal footing, skill wise, and even then they may opt for different strategies depending on the cards available...

My guess is that no one's really started to "figure out" the game yet.

TheNovaLord

First Post
just played this evening with 3 noobs to it

came 2nd, which isnt bad for me....i think i really suck at it......my 11 year old beat me agian earlier.....

try it out on 2 new folk tommorrow

am spreading the joy...and benefitting the VFLGS

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Picked up Seaside yesterday. Ooh - new cards! Nice toys!

Haven't played enough Intrigue yet! Too many good games!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads