• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dominion

Cadfan

First Post
Something I've come to notice, when we play games without the owner playing, we tend to learn interesting things.

Tonight in our Dominion game we discovered that the Thief card doesn't simply force you to discard treasure, you TRASH it. That is a much nastier card now than it used to be.
Just make sure that you aren't making them trash coppers that they wanted to trash anyways to increase their chances of drawing silvers and gold.

Asmor

First Post
Tonight in our Dominion game we discovered that the Thief card doesn't simply force you to discard treasure, you TRASH it. That is a much nastier card now than it used to be.

Just make sure that you aren't making them trash coppers that they wanted to trash anyways to increase their chances of drawing silvers and gold.

You don't really have much of a choice. You either trash their copper or stick it in your deck, you can't choose to leave it in their deck.

The thief can thus be a bit of a double-edged sword. It can help your opponent as well as harm them.

It's great if the gardens are out, though... Take all the coppers you can get!

Cadfan

First Post
Played today with the Envoy. Its a pretty neat card. Our set had the village in it, and the market, so the dominant strategy seemed to be village/envoy/market/cellar.

In power it seemed roughly comparable to the Smithy, its obvious competitor. One initially unnoticed effect is that using the Envoy cycles your deck very, very fast. It takes an additional five cards out of your deck each time you play it.

Wycen

Explorer
Denied!

Yesterday we did a game of Qwerkle to get it out of the way before we launched into Dominion.

So, he dug through his game bag, teasing us with the Envoy and Black Market and then says the dreaded, "Uh, I thought I brought it..."

He FORGOT the dang game! So we will have wait until next Tuesday to play with the promo cards.

Oh well.

Wycen

Explorer
Well, it took over a month but finally got to play with the promo cards. We actually only put the Envoy in the deck, the Black Market hadn't even been taken out of its wrapping, but that's because he gave it to someone to bring to Kubla Khan and they apparently didn't like the Black Market card.

Anyway, the Envoy looked like it was fun, but I actually didn't but any. However the player who bought at least two was next to me so I got to choose which card to dump.

Wycen

Explorer
Anybody played Dominion Intrigue yet?

Our group brought it today, so we had a game of the original going while Intrigue played next to us. I didn't play myself, just saw a few of the cards and the nice card insert in the box, making filing easier, (though still not perfect).

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Anybody played Dominion Intrigue yet?

I've played three games last week with three players each. We used three different proposed setups (German version), so we're still testing the waters here. I'll probably play a game or two today in the evening and report tomorrow.

Dimitris

First Post
Dominion is an excellent game. In comparison with the heavier games like Puerto Rico, Agricola, Caylus etc, has the advantage of being fast. Usually we play several games in a row (trying to understand why our strategies doesn't work :) ) while we found difficult to play a heavier game for a third time in the evening.
I haven't tried the Dominion Intrigue expansion yet.

pogre

Legend
Played a game with the Intrigue set last night. The cards really add a lot to the game. There are a lot of choice cards - you can do this, this, or this. Combining it with the original set has really brought the game to life for our group.

Remove ads