D&D 5E "Doom Sun" − reconstructing a 5e Dark Sun setting for the DMs Guild

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Max, I trust you. However, do happen to know where that is? I actually downloaded the '91 boxed set from the DM'sGuild last night to look for it and I couldn't find (I was curious if Yaarel was correct as they kept quoting the revised DS). Now, I can't say I read the whole thing, but I couldn't find it on a quick scan.
"On a local level, cities and villages have ancient lore about mysterious beings or demigods, but consistent mythic systems are never widespread."

There was also a ruined temple found in a book or module.

Yaarel

He Mage
"On a local level, cities and villages have ancient lore about mysterious beings or demigods, but consistent mythic systems are never widespread."

There was also a ruined temple found in a book or module.

The citation establishes lore about "mysterious beings" or even "demigods".

Notably, there is no lore about "gods".

And we know from 1995, that since there has never been gods in Athas, even an obscure folkbelief about something called a "demigod" cannot imply any actual gods.

The demigod is perhaps a nickname for a Hercules-like warrior, who is a standard high level character.

The citation establishes lore about "mysterious beings" or even "demigods".

Notably, there is no lore about "gods".

And we know from 1995, that since there has never been gods in Athas, even an obscure folkbelief about something called a "demigod" cannot imply any actual gods.

The demigod is perhaps a nickname for a Hercules-like warrior, who is a standard high level character.
I don't think its factual. The author made a statement separate from the books, but the author's internal version of the setting is very rarely the same as the published setting itself. The truth is, the door was left open in the original Dark Sun set for you to bring in gods if you wanted and to explain how they were killed however you want. It is a pointless argument to make that the gods def did not exist, especially when Doomspace seems to follow the 4E Dark Sun, which has origins with the Dawn War.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Sounds natural to me.

"That monster was epic!"

Whence "epics" as a shorthand.

I already refer to creatures of the "legend" tier (levels 17 to 20) as "legends".

"That athlete is a legend in her own time."
"He is a legend at wizardry."
Yeah, I'm with Shardstone: I would never use that in-universe. And I have a hard time imagining that a bunch of peasants would either. It sounds like a game term invented by gamers.

What do people call beings of unimaginable power? Gods. Even if they're not "real" gods, whatever that means. Anything else sounds a bit silly. Even Power, as an in-universe term, sounds silly outside the confines of a Planescape setting.

Yaarel

He Mage
I don't think its factual. The author made a statement separate from the books, but the author's internal version of the setting is very rarely the same as the published setting itself. The truth is, the door was left open in the original Dark Sun set for you to bring in gods if you wanted and to explain how they were killed however you want. It is a pointless argument to make that the gods def did not exist, especially when Doomspace seems to follow the 4E Dark Sun, which has origins with the Dawn War.
Regarding Fyreen, yes. The setting premises a Dawn War.

Regarding Athas, no. There was never a Dawn War.

Yaarel

He Mage
LEVEL: TIER
1-4: Student (apprentice, page, jack, novice)
5-8: Professional (journeyer, squire, adventurer, expert)
9-12: Master (knight, chief, senior, dame, sire)
13-16: Great (arch, archon, leader, grand, champion, noble, lady, lord)
17-20: Legend (marvel, superior, sovereign, world class)
21-24: Epic (luminary, sublime, exalted, immortal)

Suggest inworld titles and nicknames for any tier.

Each tier has four levels, matching proficiency and feat schedule.

I use the term immortal less often, because many non-epic creatures are also immortal.

Note, it is pretty close to BECMI, except it is BEMCI, since to me champion sounds like a winner among masters.

LEVEL: TIER
1-4: Student (apprentice, page, jack, novice)
5-8: Professional (journeyer, squire, adventurer, expert)
9-12: Master (knight, chief, senior, dame, sire)
13-16: Great (arch, archon, leader, grand, champion, noble, lady, lord)
17-20: Legend (marvel, superior, sovereign, world class)
21-24: Epic (luminary, sublime, exalted, immortal)

Suggest inworld titles and nicknames for any tier.

Each tier has four levels, matching proficiency and feat schedule.

I use the term immortal less often, because many non-epic creatures are also immortal.

Note, it is pretty close to BECMI, except it is BEMCI, since to me champion sounds like a winner among masters.
Hmm 🤔
I don’t like these.

dave2008

Legend
Actually, all that establishes is that in the '95 update the setting never had gods. Nothing more or less about the "official" setting is true.

In reality most of the "official" DS history has had some relationship to gods:
  • '91 DS was vague, but possible existing of gods.
  • '95 DS did not have gods
  • I'm not sure if 3e had DS update, though technically all 3e settings were in the same multiverse - so 3e DS had gods
  • 4e DS definitely had gods previously.
  • 5e, we have to see, but if Doomspace is a hint, then it has/had gods too.
So from a full breadth and depth of D&D history, DS has some relationship to gods much more often than not.

Last edited:

Remove ads