Download the Terminator QuickStart!

In The Terminator RPG Quick Start, each player assumes the role of a Resistance Fighter. This document contains seven pre-made fighters for players to use which can be found at the end of the book.
The game will include rules and scenarios to play in both the future and the ‘present’ day of the movie, as well as the ability to play in any other time point the Director wishes to use. It will include mechanics to allow time travel and will explore all the different Terminators, enemy types and characters seen in the movie and comic books.

A Kickstarter campaign will be launched in early 2021.

BDB7AF21-1BC3-477C-8431-EB3550DB983D.jpeg

E7EEA35A-FE81-41A7-B899-5FAFAC478029.jpeg

Last edited:

Russ Morrissey

Russ Morrissey

Sir Brennen

Adventurer
Anyone know if this game will be focused on the post-apocalypse when the machines have already risen, or will there be time-travel shenanigans as well (and possible alternate time-lines, as introduced in Dark Fate?)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Please don't. This is a trap set by Skynet to determine who is a credible threat. Obviously the resistance was lead by roleplayers and they want to find you so they can crush you.

But I am excited about this game. Which i will buy in cash at a brick and mortar just to be safe.
That was one extreme LARP session

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Anyone know if this game will be focused on the post-apocalypse when the machines have already risen, or will there be time-travel shenanigans as well (and possible alternate time-lines, as introduced in Dark Fate?)
The blurb in the quickstart rules says
This game is licenced from STUDIOCANAL and includes The Terminator movie and its associated Dark Horse comics.
The game will include rules and scenarios to play in both the future and the ‘present’ day of the movie, as well as the ability to play in any other time point the Director wishes to use. It will include mechanics to allow time travel and will explore all the different Terminators, enemy types and characters seen in the movie and comic books.

The quiclkstart doesn’t have any timetravel rules in it though and gives a scenario fo 2029. It appears to be a Stat+Skill Dice pool system based on d10s v Difficulty and its got a ‘Hacking‘ minigame I havent looked at yet

Corrosive

Adventurer
I know the 80s are fashionable again, but I didn't think that included 80s-style typsetting and layout. The graphic design in this looks like an old TSR module!

We have to remember the time-traveller terminators are practically the elite, the best ones, and most dangerous. In the movies people from the past needed extraordinary means to defeat them. It is not a spoiler if I say in the last movie a RPG was not enough to kill the bad guy. In a past-present game the plot has to be about how to trick the terminator to go toward the "trap" where it could be destroyed.

And we have to remember if we want "fluff" we only need the fandom wiki terminator, with all the lore.

Couldn't terminators cause the grandfather's paradox killing people or their parents, who created skynet?

* Why not Skynet couldn't only to construct a space ship and go toward other planet, leaving us in peace?

The skill mechanics are interesting... 1d10+modifer vs TN for success/fail; additional 1+skill d10's with same mod each vs TN to improve the success quality if the success die succeeds.

I know the 80s are fashionable again, but I didn't think that included 80s-style typsetting and layout. The graphic design in this looks like an old TSR module!
That could be part of the charm for dome.

Though to be honest, I dropped The With her RPG when I saw the old-school 90s Microsoft Excel turned HTML tabular structures for 90s GeoCities websites.

I prefer a printer-friendly layout.

A quick look-over suggests that the system isn't going to be of interest for me, but the hacking system appears to hold a great deal of promise.

ibenny

Villager
‘In The Terminator RPG Quick Start, each player assumes the role of a Resistance Fighter.’

Now, that’s a problem, as I would wish to play a Terminator..

Last edited:

sstacks

Shane "Shane Plays" Stacks
Gave it a look through. Looks fun, although roll multiple dice and adding a modifier to each one may be a bit clunky. I would love to check it out as a one-shot. I also like the continuing focus on the Director (GM) as being final decision maker

KFC

Villager
Apart from layout..
Sorry to say but this game looks dated AF... Only slight changes to the core mechanics taken from the middle of 90s, same writing mindset, and on the top.. this hacking system looking like joke - boring $%itty puzzle like we used to have in the 1988 Cyberpunk.
Oh my.... this is not happening in the 2021 right? :D

Apart from layout..
Sorry to say but this game looks dated AF... Only slight changes to the core mechanics taken from the middle of 90s, same writing mindset, and on the top.. this hacking system looking like joke - boring $%itty puzzle like we used to have in the 1988 Cyberpunk.
Oh my.... this is not happening in the 2021 right? :D
Apart Tom art and minor mechanics updates, Call of Cthulhu still runs on decades old rules

Same with Cubicle7 4th edition of Warhammer Fantasy.

Not every non D&D game takes the Indie PbTA path.

Gave it a look through. Looks fun, although roll multiple dice and adding a modifier to each one may be a bit clunky. I would love to check it out as a one-shot. I also like the continuing focus on the Director (GM) as being final decision maker
In practice, you should just subtract the skill value add from the difficulty to find the target number for the dice... mathematically identical, but makes it easier to find the successes.

KFC

Villager
Apart Tom art and minor mechanics updates, Call of Cthulhu still runs on decades old rules

Same with Cubicle7 4th edition of Warhammer Fantasy.

Not every non D&D game takes the Indie PbTA path.
Sure, but here we have nothing new and literally nothing appealing apart from the IP, what could attract 2021 fresh gamer. And honstly nowadays this IP is known rather from poor series and B-movie remakes than anything else..
Only for nostalgia fans and peeps who had been living under the rock for 30 years...
But well, seeing how poorly done was the new Stargate RPG and how it went on the Kickstarter - probably it is always ok for the publisher to try doing it low effort - big money grab.

PS. Warhammer 4th edition had a very nice rework of its old mechanics, removing much rust and staying compatible more or less with the older editions.
I'm not saying it should follow PbtA path, but at least t r y to show us that they made any effort making this game looking something suitable for 21 century gaming...

Last edited:

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
Supporter
Sure, but here we have nothing new and literally nothing appealing apart from the IP, what could attract 2021 fresh gamer. And honstly nowadays this IP is known rather from poor series and B-movie remakes than anything else..
Only for nostalgia fans and peeps who had been living under the rock for 30 years...
But well, seeing how poorly done was the new Stargate RPG and how it went on the Kickstarter - probably it is always ok for the publisher to try doing it low effort - big money grab.

PS. Warhammer 4th edition had a very nice rework of its old mechanics, removing much rust and staying compatible more or less with the older editions.
I'm not saying it should follow PbtA path, but at least t r y to show us that they made any effort making this game looking something suitable for 21 century gaming...

Hmm, so what exactly do you define as "suitable for 21 century gaming"? Personally if mechanics are solid, I don't see a need to change them. Also I'm actually not a big fan of PbtA, seems a lot of people love those mechanics but everything I read from them just doesn't do much for me. I don't dislike it but I'm not of the mind set that they're more suitable than anything else.

As to dated, Dungeon World (PbtA) to me for example is a physically small book which is thick with a print type that does nothing for me. It feels rather dated to be blunt and since I was there in the 1970's playing DnD, Traveller and Runequest, I have a pretty good feel for dated. Even the mechanics to me feel dated and old school like. So I guess it all depends on the eye of the beholder as to what is dated or suitable.

Personally for me these days if I was running something I'd choose a variant of BRP/Runequest mechanics or Traveller mechanics. As a player I'd love to play some of the 2D20, Free Leagues or Cypher system mechanics but where I live everyone pretty much sticks to 5e DnD, Pathfinder or the bloody card games.

Advertisement1

Latest threads

Advertisement2

Advertisement4