Intermediate player planning to build a high damage/tanky character. The classes that popped up on my mind were Paladin and Barbarian. Multiclassing is not allowed on this campaign and it will be from level 1 to 12. I wanna know your thoughts about their features and gameplay, comparing them:
- Combat: So far I've read that Paladins have a big Nova damage and Barbarians have a constant DPR. Paladins have to time when they'll have to go all-in on their Smites and Barbarians should know when to Rage. Also Paladins seem to have a bigger and better kit than Barbarians to win encounters.
- Social: Paladins have more tools out-of-combat to deal with situations. Also a CHA based class. Barbarians doesnt seem bring the "leader" aspect to the table, but of course that also depends on the player.
- Exploration: Barbarians look like a better scout class than Paladins.
- Spells: Simple. Paladins are Half-Casters and Barbarians cant use spells. So barbarians have less management to do, but less utility.
- Tankiness: Bear Totem Barb seems looks like the "best" meat tank in the game. D12 as a Hit die, Damage Reduction. Paladins also look good and depeding on the subclass, they can offer more support spells to aid the party.
- Teamplayer: Paladins feel like more of a support-oriented class. Barbs looks more like a "lone-wolf".
- Gameplay Mechanis: Barbarians seem more simple and straightfoward than Paladins.
- Flavor/Fun Factor?!: This one is kinda personal. But how do you guys feel about it? Which Class do you have most fun with out of these two?