DR from Class and Armor

Dragonnety

First Post
I am creating a dwarven defender and I stambled upon the DR.
If I Give him a dwarven plate (grants DR 3/-), does it stack with the DR that the DD gets?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Dwarven Defender tip #1: Don't.

If it's a core-only game, Dwarven Defender is pretty good, as far as noncasting classes go. Which, if you were looking into DD to begin with, is probably the route you were headed. Now Arcane Archer? That's just plain awful, even in a core game.

Dandu

First Post
If it's a core-only game, Dwarven Defender is pretty good
"Oh no, it's a Dwarven Defender! Let's briskly walk around him."

Which, if you were looking into DD to begin with, is probably the route you were headed. Now Arcane Archer? That's just plain awful, even in a core game.
A 2 level dip in Arcane Archer can be good for certain bard or wizard builds, actually, but the rest of the class is pretty rubbish.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
"Oh no, it's a Dwarven Defender! Let's briskly walk around him."

You don't enter the defensive stance to lockdown enemies or block them from allies. You use it when you're going to be in a stand still, full attack slug fest with another big dumb fighter anyway, to get an extra edge. That's not the only class feature.

Dandu

First Post
You don't enter the defensive stance to lockdown enemies or block them from allies. You use it when you're going to be in a stand still, full attack slug fest with another big dumb fighter anyway, to get an extra edge.
What stops him from moving out of your threatened area and laughing at you?

That's not the only class feature.
Ok, the DR and will saves are useful but pretty much everything else is unimpressive.

Last edited:

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I always thought that DR 6 / - was pretty nice; uncanny dodge is pretty good too. Plus d12, two good saves, full bab, and a class AC bonus.

Accepting that pure-warrior classes suck, it's not bad for a pure warrior. Much like playing a Barbarian that never rages, only with a few extra perks.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
What stops him from moving out of your threatened area and laughing at you?

Because he shouldn't necessarily know the exact parameters of an obscure prestige class only dwarves ever train in? Or because when I say "big dumb fighter" I mean literally like hill giant dumb or nonintelligent vermin dumb, which is an intelligence level many monsters in the MM could be classified as.

I always thought that DR 6 / - was pretty nice; uncanny dodge is pretty good too. Plus d12, two good saves, full bab, and a class AC bonus.

Accepting that pure-warrior classes suck, it's not bad for a pure warrior. Much like playing a Barbarian that never rages, only with a few extra perks.

Basically. If you don't want to play a caster, and it's a core game, I don't see how Fighter 20, Barbarian 20, etc... is any better than Dwarven Defender. They do get some nice things.

Remove ads