• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon article -- Class Acts: Wizards

I just have to say, oh you people say it's not "a bit generic" or "not at all boring", let's see what you say two or three years from now. Because I think a sentiment that seems a little "unusual" right now is going to be pretty common by then.

parcival42 said:
Is the attack you make considered an Immediate Interrupt? If the attack failed would the target get to continue its movement through the wall if it chose too?

If the attack hits it states that the creature can try again on later turns. What exactly does this mean? If the creature starts its turn adjacent to the wall or moves to be adjacent to the wall again do you make further attack rolls against it until you miss and the creature can finally see and move through?

Help, anyone?

You create an illusionary wall. Enemies think it's real, but if they're close enough (adjacent) they *might* notice something is amiss (the Int vrs. Will attack). If they move to become adjacent then yes, immediate interrupt Int vrs. Will. I mean, why not? Makes sense and seems to fit the idea behind the power. If your attack succeeds, the enemy may not move through the squares with the wall, not gain LOS through the wall.

When do they get a re-test? Well, many powers say "Until the end of your next turn," and it seems reasonable to use that here. If they've moved away from the wall, well, too bad. If they're still up against it at the start of their turn after the end of your next turn, or they move to become adjacent once more, you make another attack.

Aezoc

First Post
I like Illusory Wall and Maze of Mirrors. Conceptually I like Phantasmal Terrain and Enemies Abound, but I have mechanical nitpicks with both - if Phantasmal Terrain is illusory, why isn't there any ability to disbelieve it? And Enemies Abound gives flanking, but the target still attacks you and not his allies? Er, wha? I can only figure the level they picked didn't warrant the effect, but the fluff and the mechanics just don't reconcile at all for me.

I'm also mildly disappointed that a few of them, particularly Illusory Ambush, just feel like generic spells with some illusion fluff slapped on them. But then I dunno what I'd do to fix it either. I'm not sure that it's really any worse than the shadow conjurations of 3e, it just feels different for some reason I can't really put my finger on.

So, any thoughts on how to do permanent illusions? On the one hand, that pretty much screams ritual to me. On the other, I consider illusionist to be a pretty distinct archetype, and that to me should be within the illusionist's purview and not something anyone can pick up.

Aezoc said:
So, any thoughts on how to do permanent illusions? On the one hand, that pretty much screams ritual to me. On the other, I consider illusionist to be a pretty distinct archetype, and that to me should be within the illusionist's purview and not something anyone can pick up.

Well, they're not permanent, but there are illusion rituals in the PHB that last far longer than combat spells.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Mouseferatu said:
Well, they're not permanent, but there are illusion rituals in the PHB that last far longer than combat spells.

I seem to recall some are permanent with a focus left in place. Like the eye ones.

yarael

First Post
Most interesting (to me) is that there are several powers that do Psychic damage, but do not have the Psychic keyword. Which may call into question whether a melee power being used with a flaming longsword will indeed get the fire keyword just because it does fire damage. It looks like damage alone doesn't determine if a power gets a certain keyword.

yarael said:
Most interesting (to me) is that there are several powers that do Psychic damage, but do not have the Psychic keyword. Which may call into question whether a melee power being used with a flaming longsword will indeed get the fire keyword just because it does fire damage. It looks like damage alone doesn't determine if a power gets a certain keyword.
It might be because they are already illusions?

Remove ads