• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dragon+ Issue 33 out now!

ChaosOS

Legend
Doesn't the new Oath of Glory have Spirit Guardians on the list? Feels like it's kinda-sorta supposed to replace Oath of the Crown.

It's very "techno" which for some may not be what they want. I don't have the class (probably will with the Tasha's book when it's out), but from the little I know, it very well could be a solid Gish.

To add onto this, it's explicitly not techno because it's meant to be a preservation of ancient Dhakaani artificing techniques - the art we have of the Dhakaani is very distinctly not the magepunk vibe of modern Khorvaire. Older (but canon) pieces have a feudal Japan vibe, but this is what ExE had

olie-boldador-901a6ax-7cc6-4056-8fcb-4cb91fa66939.jpg

Other than the fact that some DMs get how cool goblins are and might be turned off by presenting them as competent and even heroic, this could fit into another fantasy setting just fine.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Another possibility that fits Occam's Razor, is with 4 published settings, outside the Forgotten Realms world,, why wouldn't you take cool content from the low selling SCAG to the most likely, well selling Tasha's?

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide has sold hugely, and continues to sell well, not sure why you think otherwise?

When people post Amazon Sales rankings the book tends to be on the bottom of the list.
Also it is the book that of the score or so people I play with, no one else owns.
The SCAG spells are easily found online, and are also printed on GF9 Spell Cards.
Outside of GFB and BB Cantrips, and the some of the Subclasses, it is a book that is not referenced often.

The gazetteer aspect of SCAG is often redundant or significantly less detailed then the gazetteer aspects of the modules. If a person has read all the WotC FR Adventure Path's but not SCAG, that person is still going to be well informed about the state of the Sword Coast.

SCAG is the most dispensable of 5e books, to date.

dave2008

Legend
When people post Amazon Sales rankings the book tends to be on the bottom of the list.
Also it is the book that of the score or so people I play with, no one else owns.
The SCAG spells are easily found online, and are also printed on GF9 Spell Cards.
Outside of GFB and BB Cantrips, and the some of the Subclasses, it is a book that is not referenced often.

The gazetteer aspect of SCAG is often redundant or significantly less detailed then the gazetteer aspects of the modules. If a person has read all the WotC FR Adventure Path's but not SCAG, that person is still going to be well informed about the state of the Sword Coast.

Yes, but it still has sold really well. It is currently the 12th D&D book in sales rank (on Amazon), ahead of:
Eberron, CoS, Dragon Heist, Mad Mage, Descent, Ghost of Saltmarsh, Ravnica, Tales, Storm King, Tomb, Tiamat 1 & 2, Abyss, and Princes.

So middle of the pack after 5 years on the market. Not to bad.

Sure, but consolidating options into a single book means, less books to carry or cross reference.

There is also a psychological factor. A hardcore DM might balk at letting something come into their game from a "setting book" like SCAG or Eberron, but feel fine with expanded options from setting neutral options books.

I like compendiums.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Really, it's not. the artificer functions by refluffing magic as gadgetry. You can just forgo refluffing to make it a regular arcane half-caster. The Forge Adept has no magitech robot dogs, turrets, guns or power armour. Just a magic sword.

innnnnnteresting. This might offer a viable way to make a 5e magus...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Guess I can scrap my plan to publish supernatural environments.....
Maybe just wait and see what can supplement what they put out.
We already new that. And it seems to be the only SCAG subclass included.

My conclusion: WotC are having a really really hard time creating new wizard subclases that people don't hate.

IMO, if there is a SCAG subclass that would be good with a new coat of paint (i.e. proper gear support) it's the Battlerager.
As far as I can tell, almost no one wants to play the Battlerager, regardless of gear.
Not that I recall. Nor did the reprints from EEPC -> SCAG, VGM, and MTF (and SCAG -> MTF) seem to change anything.

However, the DMG -> MTF changed Aasimar and Eladrin Elf. And VGM -> E:RLW, EGW, and MOT revised both the Orc and the Triton write ups.

Basically, there weren't major revisions upon reprint of material from 2014-2017, and but some reprints from 2018 onward have been errata'd.

D&D Beyond dealt with these reprint erratas differently, FYI. They created a whole separate "race" entry for "Feral" Tieflings from SCAG, so similarly they created entire separate entries for "Orc of Eberron" and "Orc of Exandria," even though these were identical to each other and the changes were intentional erratas of "Orc" from Volo's Guide to Monsters. But instead of creating a "Triton of Theros" entry, they just quietly errata'd Triton to match Theros when you're reading D&D Beyond. It's a mess, but that's to be expected when you outsource your main digital platform to Wikia. No wonder there's rumblings of WotC considering their own in-house set of digital tools again. Maybe they can actually get them right this time, though.
Most of what you're talking about was done before Fandom owned DDB, so no wikia tie.

And also just no. Their decisions make sense, so far, with regards to this stuff. The Exandria and Eberron Orcs aren't errata.
There was never any reason not to reprint classes from SCAG.

But the only reason to print a revised Bladesinger, rather Battlerager, Banneret or Oath of the Crown, all of which could be good with some revision, is a lack of other wizard options.
Or, the Bladesinger is just very popular.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Most of what you're talking about was done before Fandom owned DDB, so no wikia tie.
And also just no. Their decisions make sense, so far, with regards to this stuff. The Exandria and Eberron Orcs aren't errata.
They're identical to each other and are in line with what WotC have said they intend the Orc to be. It's a frustrating mistake of DDB.

As for my Wikia comment, I know, it's a more recent buy. I'm still upset that Zelda Wiki, one of the founders of the Nintendo Independent Wiki Alliance, sold out to Fandom and still claims it can be part of NIWA. Wikia/Fandom is the 300-lb orangutan (vs Wikipedia's 600-lb gorilla), that is eating up all of the independent companies in the geek-o-sphere, and it's almost entirely aligned with a decline in quality, to boot.

Wishbone

Paladin Radmaster
They're identical to each other and are in line with what WotC have said they intend the Orc to be. It's a frustrating mistake of DDB.

As for my Wikia comment, I know, it's a more recent buy. I'm still upset that Zelda Wiki, one of the founders of the Nintendo Independent Wiki Alliance, sold out to Fandom and still claims it can be part of NIWA. Wikia/Fandom is the 300-lb orangutan (vs Wikipedia's 600-lb gorilla), that is eating up all of the independent companies in the geek-o-sphere, and it's almost entirely aligned with a decline in quality, to boot.

Are the Orc of Eberron and Orc of Exandria entries separated because they have campaign-specific lore associated with each page?

Parmandur

Book-Friend

SCAG routinely in the top selling books on Amazon...?

Sure, it's not a necessary book, but none of these are. It is, however,a popular book, but not so much for Class material as for FR Setting info.

Remove ads