DRAGON Magazine monster index!

Richards

Legend
Wow, now I'm getting crap for the armadillephant! That's a welcome change -- usually I only get crap for the duckbunny from that article! :D

But hey, if it helped inspire Erica to develop her "Hybrid" feat, then I guess some good came from it, huh?

Johnathan
Proud supporter of magical crossbreeding since 1998

MissHappen

First Post
Ah-ha!

So you are THAT Richards!

Well, however much flak you've gotten for the duckbunny, I'd say you more than made up for it with your other work. I'm a big fan. :)

-MsM

Richards

Legend
By the way, Undead Pete asked for a listing of monsters that have appeared in the pages of Dungeon. Here's a listing of the ones appearing in the magazine since 3E came out; note that [stats only] means that there was a stat block for the creature in question but not a full Monster Manual-type entry.

Dungeon #82:
Page 25 - Halfling skeleton [stats only]
Page 28 - Ogre skeleton [stats only]
Page 76- Choke Creeper [stats only]
Page 80 - Giant Catfish [stats only]
Page 81 - Giant Leech [stats only]
Page 82 - Medium-size Monstrous Frog [stats only]
Page 84 - Ogre Zombie [stats only]

Dungeon #83:
Page 29 - Faranth
Page 36 - Half-Ogre [stats only]
Page 38 - Ogrillon [stats only]
Page 44 - Crawling Hand (zombie) [stats only]
Page 49 - Giant Ogre [stats only]
Page 70 - Mountain Goat [stats only]
Page 86 - Dire Rat Skeleton [stats only]
Page 94 - Millexium Mouther

Dungeon #84:
Page 30 - Chaos Spectre [stats only]
Page 41 - Large Abyssal Monstrous Spider [stats only]
Page 45 - Iron Spider Golem [stats only]
Page 47 - Gargantuan Abyssal Armored Monstrous Spider [stats only]
Page 49 - Huge Abyssal Monstrous Spider Ghost [stats only]
Page 57 - Yochlol
Page 70 - Advanced Homonculus [stats only]
Page 81 - Winged Cat [stats only]
Page 82 - Gargantuan Elasmosaurus Zombie [stats only]
Page 82 - Winged Owlbear [stats only]
Page 84 - Vampire Rose Bush [stats only]
Page 87 - Scarecrow [stats only]
Page 88 - Animated Suits of Armor [stats only]
Page 89 - Abyssal Dire Bat [stats only]
Page 91 - Animated Skeletal Arms [stats only]
Page 96 - Large Gargoyle [stats only]
Page 113 - Large Monstrous Redspotted Centipede [stats only]
Page 114 - Osyluth Skeleton [stats only]
Page 115 - Fiendish Red Wyrmling Dragon [stats only]
Page 115 - Swamp Lizard [stats only]
Page 118 - Gnoll Zombie [stats only]
Page 118 - Human Monk Zombie [stats only]
Page 119 - Gnoll Skeleton [stats only]
Page 119 - Human Monk Skeleton [stats only]
Page 120 - Gnoll Ghost [stats only]
Page 122 - Animated Dagger [stats only]
Page 123 - Osyluth Zombie [stats only]
Page 130 - Yeti [stats only]
Page 134 - Winter Werewolf

Dungeon #86:
Page 38 - Baaz Draconian
Page 39 - Kender
Page 72 - Huecuva [template]

Dungeon #87:
Page 96 - White Pudding [stats only]
Page 104 - Ice Golem
Page 106 - Small Ice Paraelemental
Page 106 - Medium Ice Paraelemental
Page 106 - Large Ice Paraelemental
Page 106 - Huge Ice Paraelemental
Page 106 - Greater Ice Paraelemental
Page 106 - Elder Ice Paraelemental

Dungeon #89:
Page 53 - Frost Giant Mohrg [stats only]
Page 53 - Old White Dragon Simulacra [stats only]
Page 55 - Animated Trophies [stats only]
Page 64 - Orcus, Demon Prince of Undead

Dungeon #91:
Page 60 - Bog Mummy [stats only]
Page 61 - Dire Opossum [stats only]
Page 106 - Half-Machine [template]

Dungeon #92:
Page 42 - Animated Ballista
Page 43 - Githyanki
Page 44 - Githzerai
Page 63 - Hive Spider Drone
Page 63 - Hive Spider Queen
Page 96 - Nightswimmer [stats only]

Dungeon #93:
Page 78 - Thunder Worm
Page 100 - White Roc

Dungeon #94:
Page 38 - Huecuva [template] (again)
Page 90 - Pack Lizard

I'm not sure why there isn't anything for Dungeons #85, 88, and 90, but there's a a good chance I just forgot to update my files for those issues. It's also possible that I stopped being as meticulous as I was for #84, instead of there being a sudden drop-off in the numbers of new monsters. But in any case, this ought to be a good start, if anyone else wants to throw in their own observations.

Come to think of it, I know I'm missing some monsters: I'm positive there was a wooly mammoth (or something similar) listing in "Glacier Season," whichever issue that was in. And where's the kurge? I remember it was in the adventure with the Tharizdun cult. Okay, this apparently isn't an example of my best compilation work. Don't hold it against me, okay?

Johnathan

Lucifer

First Post
Richards said:

Come to think of it, I know I'm missing some monsters: I'm positive there was a wooly mammoth (or something similar) listing in "Glacier Season," whichever issue that was in. And where's the kurge? I remember it was in the adventure with the Tharizdun cult. Okay, this apparently isn't an example of my best compilation work. Don't hold it against me, okay?

Johnathan

There were stats for a mastodon or mammoth (can't recall which) in the "Glacier Season" adventure. I don't recall the issue either, but there was one of the two monsters mentioned above in it.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hey, i liked the armadillephant - don't take my sarcasm seriously. ;) and yes, if memory serves me, discussing that creature sparked the idea discussion that led to erica's hyrbid (aka abomination) template. :)

ToH in a matter of weeks!

Gez

First Post
BOZ said:
32 - Scorpiorc, koasp, antold, woblin, skag

Scorpion - orc, Koalinth (sea hobgoblin) - asp, ant - kobold, wombat - goblin and ? I'm at a loss for the last.

Am I right ?

BOZ said:
37 - Neutral dragons (crystal, topaz, emerald, sapphire, amethyst, Sardior the Ruby dragon) (That's Not In the Monster Manual!, Arthur W. Collins)

Sardior is now detailed here on Wizard's site.

BOZ said:
38 - Brown dragon, yellow dragon, orange dragon, Tiamat, Bahamut (Leomund's Tiny Hut, Lenard Lekofka) Tiamat and Bahamut are first given diety status here, and appeared previously in the Monster Manual. They later appeared as the first 3rd edition creatures in Dragon 272, then in the Manual of the Planes, and Dieties and Demigods.

The Brown dragon is in its 3e avatar in Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn.

BOZ said:
51 - The winged folk (Al Karak Elam) (The Winged Folk, William Lenox) The winged folk later appeared in the 2nd edition as the Avariel in the Complete Book of Elves, and in Monstrous Compendium Annual 2.

Don't know the date, but they also appeared, under the name of Ee'aar, in the Savage Coast Monster Compendium (Mystara/Known World/Red Steel). See attachment. The Savage Coast MC may be downloaded freely from this page on Wizards' site.

BOZ said:
92 - Scalamagdrion (Pages From the Mages, Ed Greenwood) The Scalamagdrion later appeared in the 2nd edition in Pages From the Mages and in Monstrous Compendium Annual 3.

The Scalamagdrion (typo corrected) is present in its 3e incarnation in Magic of Faerûn.

Gez

First Post
Richards said:
256 - Plague sidhe, plague spreader, parthoris gorgon, g'grokon (Heretic II: Creatures of Parthoris, Daniell Freed)

G'grokon ? I like the name. I even love the name. Any French man dreams about killing all the g'grokons.

Richards said:
272 - Crow's-nest dragon, geyser dragon, mole dragon, pavilion dragon (Diminutive Dragons, James Wyatt)

Crow's-nest dragonnet -- I saw a conversion of them on a website (found back with a bit of googling), back at Eric Noah's time... Found the idea very cute. I'd like to get a good picture of them.

Remove ads