DRAGON Magazine monster index!

Filby

First Post
Re: Re: DRAGON Magazine monster index!

Gez said:

Scorpion - orc, Koalinth (sea hobgoblin) - asp, ant - kobold, wombat - goblin and ? I'm at a loss for the last.

Am I right ?

Right about the scorpiorc and the antold, but koasp = kobold/wasp, woblin = wasp/goblin, and skag = scorpion/kobold/ant/goblin.

poilbrun

Explorer
Richards said:
Annual #4 - Suzara the Scold, Boldovar the Mad, Merendil the Bloody, Melineth the Grasping, Luthax the Fiery, Xanthon the Baneful (THe Ghazneths, Troy Denning)
Are these 3rd or 2nd Edition? If this is second, has anyone got a conversion?

Thanks ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i don't know of any conversions of the ghazneths (they're 2E). i've gotten several requests for them, but i'm just not interested in them enough to do them myself.

poilbrun

Explorer
BOZ said:
i don't know of any conversions of the ghazneths (they're 2E). i've gotten several requests for them, but i'm just not interested in them enough to do them myself.
I'll try to dig out my Annual #4 and maybe start converting monsters. When I read the Cormyr trilogy, I was really interested in the concept of old foes of the realm coming back to haunt today's king. It would fit perfectly in my Birthright campaign! ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ugh... it's going to be a pain to go back and fix them all... therefore i will procrastinate on it as long as i can. ;)

can you tell me which ones, specifically, you found not to work?

Gez

First Post
Horast, Whiz-bang beetle, Frosts, (Sardior has now an official conversion there), the Flolite, Selm "Prince of Possessors", lythlyx, golden ammonite, Raumbusun, carnivorous flying squirrel, bhaergala, xaver, hamadryad, Anuchu, giant capybara, wild halfling, leshy, luposphinx, musical spirit, sashalus, wendigo, wood golem, uldra, hungry dead, Searechter, Black troll, caiveh, cynamolgus, diurge, jor, rock troll.

From the first post.

Basically, all the .asp are now .php. So, the easiest thing to do is to edit the post, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-X, open wordpad, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-H, replace ".asp" by ".php", OK, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, return to edit window, Ctrl-V, submit.

Then, repeat with post 2, etc.

66 - Euparkeria, compsognathus, miniature animals, vulture, carnivorous flying squirrel, hawk/falcon, animal skeletons (Leomund's Tiny Hut, Lenard Lekofka) These creatures all appeared later in the Monster Manual II (wherein the miniature animals are called minimals). They all wound up in 2nd edition, but I don't feel like looking up where they wound up.
The minimals (under Mammal), falcon (under Bird), hawk (under Bird - also listed as Hawk, Large), vulture (under Bird) and animal skeletons (under Skeleton) appeared in the Monstrous Manual in 2nd edition. I believe they appeared other places too, but I'm not sure.
67 - ... crab spider ...
90 - Sinister, night hunter, werebat, hundar, gloomwing, azmyth (Bats That Do More Than Bite, Ed Greenwood) The sinister, night hunter, werebat, and azymth later appeared in the 2nd edition in Drow of the Underdark and MC11. The gloomwing and hundar later appeared in the 2nd edition in MC11 (the hundar became the hendar). The night hunter, sinister, and werebat appeared in the 3rd edition in Monsters of Faerun.
108 - Pernicon (The Pernicon: A New Version, John Nephew) The original version of the pernicon originally appeared in the Fiend Folio.
All except the hendar/hundar and the crab spider are in the 2nd Edition Monstrous Manual. The crab spider was in the Basic D&D set, also.
126 - Dracula (Vlad Tepes), vrykolakas, baobhan sith, ch'ing shih (Hearts of Darkness, Tom Moldvay)
The baobhan sith was in 2nd edition, in one of the Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium Appendices.

Filby

First Post
102 - Bushdog, coyote, dhole, dingo, feral dog, fox, hunting dog, jackal, wolf, dire wolf (A Collection of Canines, Stephen Inniss)

If it's of any help, there are four more creatures in this article - the cave hyena, the spotted hyena, the short-faced hyena, and the striped hyena. :)

Remove ads