D&D 5E Dragon Talk on Tyranny of Dragons

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Also, I can’t take it seriously as Dragonlance in FR with no Lances, no riding good dragons, etc.

Hell, even without taking it as that, I want to ride a silver dragon into battle against evil Knights upon chromatic dragons.

Yeah agreed, I read Tyranny of Dragons and there aren't a lot of parallels beyond "Bad Dragons bringing back Evil Dragon God, Good Dragons think that is bad idea."

Beyond that underlying premise, very little inspiration from Dragonlance exists.

dave2008

Legend
It doesn't prove anything of the sort.

Hint: it's right there in the name.
Sure it does. If the first three novels, the iconic dragonlance story, have almost no riding of good dragons and no dragon lances, it clearly shows you can have a dragonlance story without them.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah agreed, I read Tyranny of Dragons and there aren't a lot of parallels beyond "Bad Dragons bringing back Evil Dragon God, Good Dragons think that is bad idea."

Beyond that underlying premise, very little inspiration from Dragonlance exists.

The more vital point that was taken from Dragonlance is, giving an excuse to string together a series of Dragon-centric dungeons.

And it's not just "Evil Dragon God," in 5E they went out of their way to establish an exact identity between Tiamat and Takhis.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Thanks! I didn’t remember that.

However, it does kind of prove the point that dragon mounts and lances are not necessary for a dragonlance story. I mean the Takhisis wasn’t even taken down with lance.
No, it doesn’t. It proves that you forgot something, which is fine, but it definitely doesn’t prove anything else.

I mean, there was a rather big plot thread involving a silver dragon, a dude with a silver arm, and forging new Dragonlances.

Reynard

Legend
Sure it does. If the first three novels, the iconic dragonlance story, have almost no riding of good dragons and no dragon lances, it clearly shows you can have a dragonlance story with them.

The entire point of the plot of the first 3 novels is getting good dragon riders and dragonlances back into the world, as a necessity to defeat Takhisis and her dragon armies.

Of course you can tell great DL stories without a sole focus on dragons or lances -- Legends is superior to Chronicles in almost every way -- but those things are fundamental to the setting. They are in fact the only reason the setting exists at all. TSR said "Do something big with dragons" and Tracy and Laura Hickman did (and then Margaret Weis helped turn it into novels that, if not great, were foundational to at least this nerd's view of fantasy).

dave2008

Legend
The entire point of the plot of the first 3 novels is getting good dragon riders and dragonlances back into the world, as a necessity to defeat Takhisis and her dragon armies.
Maybe, like I said it’s been along time since I read them. However, I don’t remember any of the main characters ever using a Dragonlance. Or honestly I don’t remember any comments about any background characters in Dragonlance in the first three novels. They definitely weren’t present and they banished Takhisis. If anything writing Dragon Dragon lances was background at best. I honestly don’t remember them being involved at all.

however, I don’t disagree that they are foundational to the setting. But that wasn’t the question.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases