• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonborn - will you ban them?

Dragonborn?

• I intend to ban it.

Votes: 139 17.4%
  • I will allow them as is

Votes: 386 48.4%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 202 25.3%
  • I'm a special snowflake and have another idea

Votes: 70 8.8%

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think that honestly, a lot of the resentment players here are feeling for gnomes and half-orcs being non-PHB1 and dragonborn or tieflings being in PHB1 is that DMs who took a hard line of banning all non-PHB races in 3e had to have been widespread, considering the amount of players (including myself) who have complained about that being a frequent condition.

I know *I* don't, but it seems pretty unfortunately common.

You hit the nail right on the head! I'm a wide-open DM personally, but the majority of the DMs in my group don't go outside the PHB. Heck, several don't even allow non-PHB base classes, though typically gear, PrCls, Feats & spells are OK.

Honestly, though, I don't think it will affect the hardliners. The same DMs I know who excise non-PHB races also do things like ban classes they dislike- typically Paladins.

Oh, and the <bleeping> planetouched (aasimar, tieflings, gensai, etc.) are getting changed to some sort of damn template instead of them being distinct races, like they always should have been.

I'm doing that myself, using the term "Nephilim." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim)

I do feel for the people who play half-orcs and gnomes and want their characters to remain as such if their campaign switches over to 4e. I guess I don't get as attached to my characters as some folks do. If someone told me I could switch my half-orc barbarian to a dragonborn fighter or dragonborn warlord, I would be like, "Heck yeah, sign me up!" Half-orcs are already outcasts so its not like the experience of playing a dragonborn would be much different except the occasional backwater town may freak out a bit when a dragonborn, tiefling, eladrin, and halfling show up to save the day. However, most denizens of a world that had dragonborn and tieflings play a major role in their history would be used to the idea of dragonborn and tieflings.

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
I think that if I were convinced to go over to 4e, I'd re-season dragonborn as an advanced lizardman race, give them tails and do away with boobs on the females.

Draxo

First Post
Some people have mentioned that the females will have breasts, which makes no sense. I could not find the picture on the site though, could someone link it?

As much as I love the idea of this race, my sticking point is that they are supposedly only bronze/golden in coloration, which I don't like. I hope we'll get more color options. I want a red scaled one..! :)

Also.. I would much prefer them to have tails. To me, a dragon-man needs a tail. I hope they'll have a racial option to have a tail.. they look incomplete without one.

DonTadow

First Post
I rolled and hit the jackpot with 4e. My major villian in all three of my campaigns has been the same demon. My 4e world takes place a few centuries after my current campaign and it makes perfect sense that now there is a race of tieflings. I have two characters who always play character with dragon blood, no matter the race, and they are decended from a line of great dragons. Again, it works out in my favorite that they are around as well. I killed off gnomes from my campaign 2 years ago and i"ve always equated elves with the fey, even going as far as to use the morninglord flavor in my 3.5s.

Vanifae

First Post
Bagpuss said:
I'm probably going to start a new campaign with 4th Ed, it's much less work than adapting an old campaign. So I'll keep them and probably add a host of other races from the MM as PC races as well.

Death to Medieval Fantasy!
I support this message.

DonTadow

First Post
When i started dm'n 3.0 i thought I"d be an open DM, then i realized how rediclulous it was to come up with the pc driven campaigns that i liked with a githyanki, drow, celestial and blink dog running around. From a balance point of view going outside of pc races will eventually come back to haunt you without strict observation and if i got to play too much police i begin to hate dm'n.

Mokona

First Post
I don't know what the rules are for Dragonborn yet but I expect to merge Dragonborn with the Lizardfolk art from Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition: Monster Manual. I'll throw in a little bit of the 3rd edition Trogolodyte concept as well. Kobolds are just juvenile Lizardfolk. :)

Remove ads