Dragonlance Dragonlance Lawsuit Dismissed Without Prejudice

The recent lawsuit brought against D&D publishers Wizards of the Coast by Dragonlance authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman has been voluntarily dismissed without prejudice. When a lawsuit is dismissed with prejudice, it means that the plaintiff cannot bring the issue back to court. When -- as in this case -- it is dismissed without prejudice, the plaintiff can try again. In this case it...

The recent lawsuit brought against D&D publishers Wizards of the Coast by Dragonlance authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman has been voluntarily dismissed without prejudice.

dragonlance_featured.0.jpg

When a lawsuit is dismissed with prejudice, it means that the plaintiff cannot bring the issue back to court. When -- as in this case -- it is dismissed without prejudice, the plaintiff can try again.

In this case it was voluntarily dismissed by Weis & Hickman. We can only guess why; perhaps a settlement occurred? In any case, Margaret Weis tweeted, thanking people for their support, and hinting at exciting news to come.

"Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1)(A)(i) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Plaintiff Margaret Weis, LLC and Tracy Hickman hereby gives notice that the above-captioned action is voluntarily dismissed as to Wizards of the Coast LLC, without prejudice. Defendant Wizards of the Coast LLC has not filed an answer or motion for summary judgment, no proceedings or discovery have been undertaken as to these claims, and this action is not subject to any federal statute which would preclude the dismissal of this action under Rule 41(a)(1)(A)(i)."

jgsugden

Legend
"The best way to improve Dragonlance is to have something completely different and call it Dragonlance".

That certainly worked for 4E Forgotten Realms didn't it?
The problem with FR heading into 4E was not offensive race based stereotypes, rampant sexism and other culturally challenged elements in an era when such things are getting people fired in the entertainment industry over and over and over ...

Apples and oranges.

A reboot that focuses on the non-offensive elements is about the best we can do.

The problem with FR heading into 4E was not offensive race based stereotypes, rampant sexism and other culturally challenged elements in an era when such things are getting people fired in the entertainment industry over and over and over ...

Apples and oranges.

A reboot that focuses on the non-offensive elements is about the best we can do.

I think if you did a poll on D&D players who actually thought Dragonlance was packed with "offensive race-based stereotypes", "rampant sexism" and "culturally challenged elements" (What the hell does that word salad even mean), you'd find that the vast majority don't share the opinion.

"Joe Manganiello, what is it you like the most about Dragonlance, the racism, or the sexism?"

Quartz

Hero
I'd think the best they can do these days is a complete reboot. Something that doesn't have kender and gully dwarves. Something with an updated take on gender dynamics.

Huh? You mean gender dynamics like both sides having strong female leaders (Kitiara and Laurana)? And what's wrong with gully dwarves? Yes, they're legendarily stupid, but so what?

Okay, kender need to be nuked from orbit, I'll grant you that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think if you did a poll on D&D players who actually thought Dragonlance was packed with "offensive race-based stereotypes", "rampant sexism" and "culturally challenged elements" (What the hell does that word salad even mean), you'd find that the vast majority don't share the opinion.
That's not how you determine whether something is problematic. For example, there's issues with the Native American analogies that are Riverwind and Goldmoon. You don't ask a bunch of white middle-aged male Dragonlance fans whether they share that opinion; you ask Native Americans. Now, whether you personally agree that that matters is another thing entirely, but the 'vast majority' aren't the people who should make a call about the representation of minorities.

MidnightBlue

Explorer
All I know is that I read the books and really enjoyed them. Dragonlance is my favorite D&D setting, bar none. It would have been nice to see official material for D&D 4E, which was my favorite of the D&D editions (and I've played them all). Just personal taste. I thought we were getting Dragonlance because it was an anniversary of some kind (25th? 30? 35th?) but instead we got Dark Sun. I'm sure that made some folks really happy, and I'm happy for them. But for me it was a wasted opportunity. Oh well, with my wealth of roleplaying, minis, cards, and dice games...not getting Dragonlance 4E is definitely a 1st world problem. I'll live. =)

If you did a poll on how many D&D players had actually read a Dragonlance novel, you would find most of them had not.

Most current D&D players are considerably younger than folk on these forums, and the Dragonlance novels been out of print for decades (probably for the reasons mentioned).

If you did a poll on how many D&D players had actually read a Dragonlance novel, you would find most of them had not.

Most current D&D players are considerably younger than folk on these forums, and the Dragonlance novels been out of print for decades (probably for the reasons mentioned).
The novels are not out of print.

Not only that they continue to sell pretty decently despite their age. Last I looked a couple were in the top 100 sellers in ‘Dungeons and Dragons’ games on Amazon.

Remove ads

Remove ads