Dragonlance DRAGONLANCE LIVES! Unearthed Arcana Explores Heroes of Krynn!

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a...

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery.

Dragonlance.jpg

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons.

Kender have a (surprisingly magical) ability to pull things out of a bag, and a supernatural taunt feature. This magical ability appears to replace the older 'kleptomania' description -- "Unknown to most mortals, a magical phenomenon surrounds a kender. Spurred by their curiosity and love for trinkets, curios, and keepsakes, a kender’s pouches or pockets will be magically filled with these objects. No one knows where these objects come from, not even the kender. This has led many kender to be mislabeled as thieves when they fish these items out of their pockets."

Lunar Magic is a sorcerer subclass which draws power from the moon(s); there are notes for using it in Eberron.

Also included are feats such as Adepts of the Black, White, and Red Robes, and Knights of the Sword, Rose, and Crown.

JThursby

Adventurer
As someone who started with 3e as a kid, Dragonlance is before my time and I know relatively little about it. What would be the big draw to play in the Dragonlance setting rather than FR or Exandria?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Does the phase of the moon not actually matter, the sorcerer chooses their "phase"? I mean, in my world, I'd actually, you know, tie it to the moon(s).....otherwise, this all looks pretty good to me. I have no issue with the Kender changes, but then, I generally can't imagine caring about lore if they want to change it.
The actual season doesn’t matter for Eladrin either, so I’m not surprised. Note, though, that tying the Sorcerer’s phase to the current actual moon phase would render their 6th level ability useless, and significantly weaken their 18th level ability.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That weirded me out too. I am wondering if the book will include moon rules in general (this was the case in the 3.5 book) and then the moon sorcerer is special in that they basically can just choose whatever phase they want
My bet would be that it was originally written as attunement to one of Krynn’s three moons instead of a phase of the moon, but then they changed it to lunar phases so it could be ported over to other settings with different numbers of moons. That would explain why there are only three phases instead of four or five.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads