Dragonlance DRAGONLANCE LIVES! Unearthed Arcana Explores Heroes of Krynn!

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a...
The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery.

Dragonlance.jpg

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons.

Kender have a (surprisingly magical) ability to pull things out of a bag, and a supernatural taunt feature. This magical ability appears to replace the older 'kleptomania' description -- "Unknown to most mortals, a magical phenomenon surrounds a kender. Spurred by their curiosity and love for trinkets, curios, and keepsakes, a kender’s pouches or pockets will be magically filled with these objects. No one knows where these objects come from, not even the kender. This has led many kender to be mislabeled as thieves when they fish these items out of their pockets."

Lunar Magic is a sorcerer subclass which draws power from the moon(s); there are notes for using it in Eberron.

Also included are feats such as Adepts of the Black, White, and Red Robes, and Knights of the Sword, Rose, and Crown.

This why D&D needs to do new settings once and a while and stop doing conversions of old settings and MTG settings.

Do Swashbuckling D&D (D&D with firearms gunpowder and magical, no heavy armor, water domain, piracy, trade, dancing, and diplomacy)
Ghosts of Saltmarsh already went there, and there is plenty more of this in standard settings like Forgotten Realms and Eberron.
Do Saturday Morning Cartoon D&D (bardic rock music, explosions, transformations/henshin, villianous and heroic factions, talking animals, monster battles)
I'm not sure how much demand there is for whacky settings, but Stryxhaven and the Wild beyond the Witchlight both lean in that direction.
Do Espionage D&D (Disguises, Forgery, Dialects and Accents, Fighting in plain clothes, Alarms, Mooks, Gadgeetry, Doomsday devices, Evil laughter)
Espionage isn't a setting. An Espionage Adventure Path would be a good fit for Eberron. D20 Modern is an old setting.
Do Wuxia D&D (Stunts, Weapon Art levels, Supernatural combat arts, Switching fighting styles midbattle, Magic Duels, Old Masters)
How is that not an old setting (Oriental Adventures) or a MtG setting (Kamigawa)?

When you have to retcon an entire game to deeply shove the Feywild into every single thing related to D&D, it's pretty degrading. This goes against the entire background origins of the Kender race. Fans don't want their lore messed with for no reason. Pretty sure not EVERY aspect of D&D needs Feywild element. Can't WotC have a few worlds that don't have such a strong fey influence?
Can you all elaborate about this Feywild thing? Which are the origins of this pervasive introduction of Feywild concept?

All D&D worlds are goings to be rebooted, and not only because metagame reasons, but also because the previous lore has to become obsolete if they want players to buy the new books. Why to spend your money when you can read the fandom wikis?

* Dark Sun will come back, but it needs a lot of work, and not only with the psionic powers. WotC needs a roadmap for the possible future metaplot of all the lines. What if there is an event about a multiverse crisis? My suggestion is to add more about elemental forces. Any rectons aren't wrong. It is like you love your grandmother's recipe, and you aren't too happy because the rest of the family doesn't cook with the same taste.

Of course WotC should worry about to avoid the "jumping the shark" effect.

* I imagine my kenders (and gullys) characters speaking with a funny accent from Andalucia (South Spain).

* I don't reject the changes in the reboots, but when I see these to bee too forced because personal points of view. Audence doesn't want more "agresive proselitism" about certain threads.

* Red Steel/Savage Coast is the perfect setting for sashbuckler fantasy. If you want fantasy noir or espionage then the future Magic: the Gathering "Street of New Capenna" will be the right place. Eberron was designed to allow a pulp touch.

Kara-Tur could be redesigned totally if the martial adept classes (Tome of Battle: Book of nine Swords) return. And today sensibility is different. Cultural apropiation is not really wrong when it is done with enough respect, but my fear is the main Asian countries may suffer certain predjudices against their neighbours and here Western authors could enter in a dangerous zone.

* Have M&H been asked about a possible return of lord Soth to Sithicus as the dark lord?

* Could the second cataclysm or Chaos war be avoided by time-travelers?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Ghosts of Saltmarsh already went there, and there is plenty more of this in standard settings like Forgotten Realms and Eberron.
It touched there.

It didn't fully go there. There's no water domain. Their is no light armor and finesse versions of the fighter, barbarian, and paladin. No water, salt, flashy, and romance based magic. No heavily focus on Lawful Evil vs Chaotic Good.

I'm not sure how much demand there is for whacky settings, but Stryxhaven and the Wild beyond the Witchlight both lean in that direction.
I'm sure if WOTC made rings that that transform heroes or summon mystic beasts and paired it with College of ROCK! and College of Hip Hop bards to foight a list of Monsters of the Week, you'd see a who lotta support.

Espionage isn't a setting. An Espionage Adventure Path would be a good fit for Eberron
Espionage can be a setting. A whole setting of Medieval James Bond, Austin Powers, and Black Widow with city states run by evil supervillains. It's one of the logical ways to do a stocked dungeon.

Redmember: No Mister Paladin, I expect you to burn!

How is that not an old setting (Oriental Adventures) or a MtG setting (Kamigawa)?
Oriental Adventures and Kamigawa attempt to be serious and "realistic".

I'm saying go fully action movie and off the wall.

Just because it using Asian themes doesn't mean they use the same Asian themes.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
As a Spelljammer proponent I can live without Harry Potter and rabbit folk whacky, but there surely is high demand for the "In space no-one can hear you scream, except for the undead planetoid beholder that has just eaten half of the elven armada" kind of whacky!

Forget Kender, Dragonlance had enough offensive stereotypes to offend almost everyone who isn't a middle-class white American - the homeless/mentally ill (gully dwarves), scientists (gnomes) etc.
What makes me wonder is that yes, this stereotypes are present, but are translated to races in a fictional world. While starting from the Real world and going to a fictional world is possible and quite simple, it is not possible to take the trip in the opposite direction without expending energy in intrepretation, making unprovable assumption and accusing someone of something hidden in its thoughts.
Some aspects of races in dragonlance are similar to stereotypes. And so? Everything is similar to something. They are called TROPES. Saying that gnomes are similar to a stereotyped version of scientist could be a fact. Saying that MW&TH where thinking and criticizing about scientist when creating gnomes is your assumption and must be proven. No way I must change it BEFORE you have proven it. What I consider very stupid in this revisionism is that is done firstly to avoid accusation, and nobody cares if this accusation are rational and proven. Who simply change to avoid problems with someone, just in case. I find it asphyxial.

JEB

Legend
Not having the support of Margaret Weis - co-creator of the setting and a known fantasy novelist - for the new Dragonlance is an interesting marketing issue, as far as selling the rebooted setting to nostalgic old fans. Even more so with the new book explicitly being a non-5E vision of the setting.

EDIT: First point was actually a response to another thread. We regret the error.

Last edited:

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Apologies for Not Reading The Entire Thread, but a few thoughts from a bit of a DL Grognard (who’s never thought that the post-2000 game has gotten it quite right, as much as Sovereign Press worked at it).

I can understand not having a specific Handling mechanic (it creates an odd thieving mini game), but it strikes me having a specific magical basis is different than just having an ability to pull random stuff from their bag. Maybe some kender are magic, maybe some are thieves, maybe some are packrats grabbing backup utensils from the kits of defeated enemies, maybe some go shopping for jury-rig parts in town…

It‘s weird to see them focus in the “sorcery” bit of the Wizard of High Sorcery instead of the “wizard” part. That might just be a gut reaction.

Having been a fan of the use of Backgrounds as a differentiator in characters, it feels off using that mechanic to do KoS and WoHS. You’re losing the stuff that differentiates the likes of Sturm or Raistlin — growing up in Solace and serving as mercenaries — from the others of their later orders who grow up in noble courts or tower libraries. I sort of like the “class abilities inside Feats” bit and think we should have had it all along (the game has done a poor job of developing Feats — they’ve trending away from the Specialization track they started with towards just bigger 3.5 feats); I’m curious if there’s perhaps a Feat Replacement mechanic on these in lieu of Feat Chains.

I’m glad to see them tackling DL, a setting I’ve played since the latter days of 1st edition (my friends and I had a multi-generational campaign going on through years and editions that’s been on hiatus — a return to the setting and perhaps some advancement of the timeline could call for getting it going again with our own next generation included), but I remain concerned about the balance of fitting DL into the modern game and fitting game into DL.

Remove ads

Remove ads