Dragonlance Dragonlance Philosophy thread

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Except we can't with Dragonlance.
Death of the Author. We have to leave what we know about the authors at the door in order to critique what they wrote. Knowing their religion helps us understand why things are the way they are in the book, but it's not a valid excuse for why the piece of work cannot be critiqued.

And the people accusing the critics of being bigots for not thinking a part of the world is bad ought to be ashamed of themselves. That is uncalled for and detrimental to the discussion. Which I'm starting to think is the point.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Death of the Author. We have to leave what we know about the authors at the door in order to critique what they wrote. Knowing their religion helps us understand why things are the way they are in the book, but it's not a valid excuse for why the piece of work cannot be critiqued.

And the people accusing the critics of being bigots for not thinking a part of the world is bad ought to be ashamed of themselves. That is uncalled for and detrimental to the discussion. Which I'm starting to think is the point.
I don't understand that last point. Who the heck is calling people bigots?

wait everyone who thinks they are good automatically are evil? because they are trying to be good?!? what? please explain

Edit: so SUperman, Ted Lasso, Michael from the Dresden files are all asevil as magneto and punisher....?
Superman knows he is not good, and therefore tries to do what is right.

A villain knows they are good, and therefore whatever they do must be right.

That's extremely ironic to say, given that we're discussing the Cataclysm and the morality of the "good" gods.
Not at all ironic - a perfectly valid interpretation, and a point which Paladine makes himself, when arguing why he cannot be allowed to "win". He might be a god of "good" be he knows he is flawed. I'm not arguing that Dragonlance shouldn't be changed because the gods where "in the right". Just that it's fine to let players form their own judgments in accordance with what they believe themselves. I'm arguing that it would be inappropriate for WotC to dictate that the actions of the gods were either objectively "good" or objectively "evil". Key word being "objectively". Alignment in D&D is not supposed to map onto real world morality, whatever you may believe that to be.

Also see Galadriel:
In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!”

Last edited:

Yeah, and I was calling out the people that had engaged in bad forum behavior like accusing others of being evil or tiptoeing around calling others bigots for not liking Dragonlance's take on religion because one of the authors is Mormon.
It's not just Mormonism. There are plenty of world religions that teach that a just and good God condoned genocide (on multiple occasions). Issues of religious tolerance aside, D&D has found itself in a fight with religious groups before. I don't think WotC would be keen to repeat the experience by labelling one if their core beliefs "objectively evil".

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It's not just Mormonism. There are plenty of world religions that teach that a just and good God condoned genocide (on multiple occasions). Issues of religious tolerance aside, D&D has found itself in a fight with religious groups before. I don't think WotC would be keen to repeat the experience by labelling their core beliefs "objectively evil".
No one asked WotC to label it evil. They just asked for it to be changed because of the problematic morality of it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases