Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It's 2022, and we continually hear how the D&D market skews young these days. I suspect WotC will be aware that the potential market for 5e Dragonlance is structured something like:

People who've never read any of the novels > people who read the first and maybe second trilogies over twenty years ago > people who've read more and/or more recently than that.

And in that case, they won't give a tiny little damn about who the True Fans of Dragonlance are. 5e Dragonlance will be made primarily for the first bracket, with occasional easter eggs to keep the second and third brackets feeling seen, if not actually happy.
WotC's post Tasha's D&D plan in a nutshell. The main reason I've moved on from them.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
It's 2022, and we continually hear how the D&D market skews young these days. I suspect WotC will be aware that the potential market for 5e Dragonlance is structured something like:

People who've never read any of the novels > people who read the first and maybe second trilogies over twenty years ago > people who've read more and/or more recently than that.

And in that case, they won't give a tiny little damn about who the True Fans of Dragonlance are. 5e Dragonlance will be made primarily for the first bracket, with occasional easter eggs to keep the second and third brackets feeling seen, if not actually happy.
a) true fans is a non-real concept it has no essence it is arbitrary.

b) you are likely right in the primary audience.

c) people will pointlessly panic over it for no good reason.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
You've dodging the main issue, which is the assumption that if someone disagrees with you about a subjective assessment of DL, it means they must not be as well-read as you are. It doesn't really matter how many books are required to be "well informed" because you have no idea how many books other people have read. Leaping to the assumption that they haven't read enough, because you don't think their assessment is correct, is the part that's gatekeeping.

You're not the only one who's done it in this thread, BTW.

Again with the assumptions. When did I ever say I dislike DragonLance? I love DragonLance, plus I have no intention of playing 5E DragonLance or even reading it since I don't play 5E.

And you're gatekeeping again here, by describing the target audience in terms that make it clear you consider them "casual fans" rather than "true fans."
I guess I don’t see why being a casual fan is bad. I’m a casual fan of a lot of things

Just means I’m not as invested.

As for the “you” stuff that was meant more of an in general. I should have clarified.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
That's still forming an opinion, not making up one.
I don’t really see the difference but I guess if you want to nitpick words.

They FORMED an opinion based on zero real info aside from someone else’s FORMED opinion they posted on a forum.

Happy now?

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
First up, my Dragonlance credentials, since that seems to be important to people:
I have read the Chronicles and Legends trilogies multiple times, and have read many of the other novels, culminating with the Dragons of a Fallen Sun - not sure why I never finished that trilogy. I did not read every single novel in between, but I read a lot.

Aside from the novels, I could have sworn I owned a copy original Dragonlance Adventures, but it is not on the shelf - either way I have definitely read it. And I do own the 3rd edition version of the campaign setting.

TBF, I have not played, run, or even read any of the original modules. And none of the above reading (with the possible exception of the 3e CS) are particularly recent.
Anyway, I enjoyed it all at the time. I never thought that the "balance of good and evil" made much sense, but I thought there must be something I was missing - after all its was official stuff and I was a teenager. As I got older, I realised that there was wasn't really anything more there, and "balance of good and evil" made even less sense than I first thought (plus I became aware of the other problematic stuff that flew over my head back in the day, like all the ableism).

But in spite of all that, there is some really cool stuff in there (knights jousting on dragon back :cool:), and none of it is really that dependent on the problematic stuff IMNSHO.

All of which makes me rather ambivalent on the subject.

On the one hand, anyone who has been paying attention to my recent posting history will no doubt be aware that I have strong feeling about what WotC should do when resurrecting old setting (not that I necessarily expect anyone else to agree): I think if they are going to use an old setting name, then they should only deviate from the original version for a very good reasons. OTOH, I consider removing the racism, ableism, and other problematic stuff to be a pretty damn good reason (and I do include "the genocidal Kingpriest was a good man, honest" amongst the problematic stuff).

On the third hand, expecting current WotC to fix the problematic stuff may be a tad optimistic (see the recent hadozee controversy). I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads