Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Jester

Legend
I fully support you creating a world that has all of those things. But Krynn is the novels and the history. Without them, Dragonlance wouldn't exist.
Dragonlance wouldn't exist if TSR hadn't decided to publish a bunch of modules about a war fought on dragonback. The initial three novels were just there to support the module series. They grew into something more over time, given their unexpected success, but saying that Krynn wouldn't exist without them is just wrong.

Faolyn

(she/her)
The main draw for who exactly? I’ve seen this brought up before.

Because it’s the most famous part of the lore? Or because WotC focused their next adventure book on it?

You don’t need the war of the lance to “ride a dragons”. Other wars happened. Other conflicts.

I mean I’ve read a lot of Dragonlance and I’d never say the setting was about one specific war. Heck it’s always been described as “Romantic Fantasy” IE chivalry and knight and magic.

“It had dragons and wars” misses the point my miles.
Pretty much every time I hear people explain Dragonlance, that's how I hear it described. Look online. And I mean on sites that wrote about Dragonlance before WotC announced their book. Nearly every website that talks about the setting describes it as being about the war of good versus evil, with dragons. If magic is mentioned, it talks about the three towers, not that lack of clerical magic. If the Cataclysm is mentioned, it's listed as a side note and not as the main draw of the setting. I played in the setting a lot back in college in the mid/late 90s (there was a guy who loved kender), and while the DM was not going out of his way to stick to canon, the Cataclysm wasn't even mentioned. I literally didn't learn about it until years later.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Dragonlance wouldn't exist if TSR hadn't decided to publish a bunch of modules about a war fought on dragonback. The initial three novels were just there to support the module series. They grew into something more over time, given their unexpected success, but saying that Krynn wouldn't exist without them is just wrong.
The novels were written concurrently with the modules. They supported each other, and nearly every other product published for Dragonlance since then draws on material from the novels. Without them, Dragonlance would be unrecognizable.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
as far as I am concerned what I want is base dragon lance with some slight tweeks to fit modern play
It fits modern play now.

Make a PC, pick a god (if you want), go adventure in Solomnia or Qualinest or whatever. Join the Mage Tower, I highly doubt your DM will make you do a solo game to pass the test to be a Colored Robe. Every game Ive played in or ran in DL, the DM was like "You passed your test in the downtime, onward to more adventure."

Literarily nothing written now in any book ever written stops you from adventuring in Krynn, right now.

Honestly, while my current game I DM is set in DL, it's been mostly like any other D&D game except they met some Solomnic Knights and visited some of the novel character on their way passed Solace. The Red Robe Mage will soon be up for testing and thats just going to be "In the downtime you took the test and passed" and nothing really changed. Unless the campaign revolves around the Mage Towers somehow or becomes a focus, they largely dont matter. Same with the Gods or the famous characters.

I could have put this exact same game in Faerun or Greyhawk or Mystra or Exandria with a couple of edits.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
If the 3 wizard towers where reset to just be the moons not the good/evil spectrum
If the good gods had to after the cataclysm had been forced to leave the world so the evil gods would too (and have the cosmic imbalance be that good was getting so strong that the evil gods got 'revenge' by corrupting the god king...)

then the war still plays out as it did... is that really that different?

Well this reminds me of a thought experiment. How many things can they change, before it's no longer Dragonlance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads