Dragonlance Dragonlance "Reimagined".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
If you're going to criticise this aspect of JRRT's work, in my view it's just silly to comment on the downfall of Numenor. If you accept the political and theological worldview that informs the works - either in reality, or as a framing for a fiction - then there is no criticism to be made of the downfall. Conversely, if you don't accept that worldview, for instance because you reject it in real life and are not nevertheless prepared to accept it as a framing for a fiction, then the whole thing falls over and the downfall isn't any sort of special or distinct target of criticism.
I don't particularly care about that part, just saw people mentioning here it was the Valar, while I'm pretty sure it was Eru. It's a bit different from the Dragonlance example since there it seems like the good gods had to still take into account what the evil and neutral gods wanted, while in Tolkien Eru is just the omnipotent god of everything and could solve all the problems at any time.

The Valar did try killing Sauron as well, I think, threw lightning at him, but he wasn't harmed. Maybe Ulmo could have jumped out of the ocean and skewered him for a more direct try, but at least they tried something.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don't think it makes Excalibur a bad film, it would be in my top 50 movies and maybe even break top 10 fantasy movies for me... but I don't want to play a game where the good/bad scale is based on it.
Fair enough. But that doesn't mean every old setting that's based on pre-modern morality needs to be "updated" so it meets your standards.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
it's not my standards... its modern sensabilities... and they don't need to update, they just open themselves to complaints by very vocal people
Does that include all the literature, film and TV discussed above? Does everything need to conform to modern sensibilities to avoid social outcry?

Does that include all the literature, film and TV discussed above?
In my humble opinion there is a world of difference between a story told and a story telling game, so no
Does everything need to conform to modern sensibilities to avoid social outcry?
maybe, but D&D games after the last few big blunders WotC made... yes all WotC official D&D stuff must.

I don't know if they MEANT for the gully dwarf to mock neurodivergent, just like I don't know if they MENT for kender to match up with bad mouthing romoni irl... I just don't think it matters what they meant, it is and now needs to be fixed.
I've legit never heard the bolded part. Could you explain or point me to something that explains it?

Faolyn

(she/her)
It’s not thr Kenders fault if the player sucks and/or the DM didn’t work out how best the Kender RP should be represented in game.

My current DL game has a wonderful Kender player and her “borrowing” is done solely as RP stuff and never really hurts any other player. Everyone had a great time.
It's the writers fault for writing a race that is kleptomaniacal and has Taunt as a racial ability and is utterly fearless and is naturally anarchic and is willing to get into danger, no matter the consequences, because of being fearless and thinking death is just another adventure and who apparently can't understand what private property is despite being known to take things but not give them... well, that's a problem. If a race constantly causes problems except for a few good players who have to deliberately change the way the race is described in order to avoid interparty conflict--then yes, there's a problem with the race.

It’s not thr Kenders fault if the player sucks and/or the DM didn’t work out how best the Kender RP should be represented in game.

My current DL game has a wonderful Kender player and her “borrowing” is done solely as RP stuff and never really hurts any other player. Everyone had a great time.
That's fair. I compared it to a CN character and I've seen people play them in ways that don't create problems so it's possible I guess.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I've legit never heard the bolded part. Could you explain or point me to something that explains it?
They're primarily wanderers who "handle" (steal) things. That's actually the only connection to the (bigoted myths about) Romani. They don't otherwise have anything in common with them--not like the Vistani, who were deliberately made to be Romani knock-offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases