• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance Shadow of the Dragon Queen shows up in the wild!

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, which is why all high level monsters should have legendary actions. They help mitigate that action economy loss.
Legendary actions help, and interesting and useful reactions are important as well, but it is a very rare solo that gets near what the CR suggests is their threat level. Of course,on the opposite end, the encounter rules way overvalue monster numbers, especially weak monsters. There's this illusion of reliable math in the CR and encounter rules that just isn't there and certainly doesn't justify the page count.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Not 50/50. A chance the entire party is going to lose(TPK/be knocked out) has to be present for one fight to be a challenge.
That's a peculiar definition of "a challenge" that i don't think many folks would agree with as the minimum requirement. If only a TPK matters that suggests the PCs are anchored to one another or to the world in any significant way.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
For another Lore thing for those wondering about Soth and why he is helping the Red Dragon Army.
This takes place before he met Kitiara. Takhisis herself recruited him to help and get some revenge against Solamnia. After the conclusion of the adventure he loses interest in the alliance and goes home with no desire to aid the Dragon Armies anymore. (Until Kitiara meets with him)
I take issue with the assumptions built into that "spoiler." You put out a module like this with Soth as an antagonist and you no longer get to say "what happens." That isn't how RPGs work.

Weiley31

Legend
i want to throw a robot wind up chicken that poops out acid filled eggs when pecking at someone... someone get me stats please....
Well, if you have the Odyssey of the Dragonlords: Player's Guide, the Amazon subclass (Ranger) ACTUALLY gives you a Mechanical Bird animal companion. If you don't mind refluffing it to meet the theme and what not, then that's one way of doing it. Also, it's free to download if you don't have it!

If you're not up to refluffing the whole class/theme for that, then I don't see anything wrong with just using the stats for the Primal Beast of Air from Tasha's. I mean, if the DM allows it, the Battle Smith (Artificer)' Steel Defender could be refluffed to being a robo bird.

I take issue with the assumptions built into that "spoiler." You put out a module like this with Soth as an antagonist and you no longer get to say "what happens." That isn't how RPGs work.

Soth is a Death Knight so he is guaranteed to survive the adventure as he can only truly die if he repents and tries to atone, which he won’t do unless the DM wants to make Wild changes

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I find this weird because previous editions of AD&D as a whole had character restrictions. Were you upset that they didn't have a sidebar in the 5e PHB saying that it used to be that certain races couldn't be wizards, or that only humans could reach 20th level, or that paladins used to have to be Lawful Good?
The DL setting hasn't appeared in an official D&D product for well over a decade, and when it did, the setting did impose restrictions. I don't expect base edition books to mention previous ones, but settings (especially settings that do historically have restrictions) are a different matter.

Remove ads