Dragonlance Dragonlance: Solamnic Knights & Mages of High Sorcery Preview

WotC has shared another preview of the upcoming Dragonlance setting/adventure with a look at backgrounds and feats for Solamnic Knights and Mages of High Sorcery. Feats include Squire of Solamnia and Initiate of High Sorcery. Interestingly, one prerequisite is "Dragonlance Campaign", which implies that the feats can't be used outside that setting...

WotC has shared another preview of the upcoming Dragonlance setting/adventure with a look at backgrounds and feats for Solamnic Knights and Mages of High Sorcery.

knights-of-solamnia.jpg

Feats include Squire of Solamnia and Initiate of High Sorcery. Interestingly, one prerequisite is "Dragonlance Campaign", which implies that the feats can't be used outside that setting.

Eberron: Rising from the Last War had 3 lead designers, two of which are from WotC (James Wyatt and Jeremy Crawford). Keith Baker didn't singlehandedly write the whole setting, you know.
Crawford is the rules guy and Perkins, Wyatt and Baker developed the setting in the 3e era. There’s been very little new added for 5e outside Baker, who is not a WotC employee.

Ditto for Wildemount - a setting developed lorewise by Matt Mercer, outside of WotC development.

I see nothing there to naysay that 5e is more about shallow cash grabs than deep lore when the only settings that are otherwise are those that have their original creator attached.

Pretty sure that's been a thing since 2e, at the very least they've had artwork depicting women in the knights of solamnia in the game book. I've no idea how they were presented in the novels, been ages since I've read through them, but at least as far as the game book is concerned, I never considered that women couldn't join since I bought the 2e boxed set back in the 90s.
There was artwork of a female sword knight in Tales of the Lance but I think the first named female was Linsha Majere.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
There was artwork of a female sword knight in Tales of the Lance but I think the first named female was Linsha Majere.
I guess that was a case of the game not necessarily mimicking the novels. That or someone just wasn't paying attention when putting together the art for the tales of the lance book.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Pretty sure that's been a thing since 2e, at the very least they've had artwork depicting women in the knights of solamnia in the game book. I've no idea how they were presented in the novels, been ages since I've read through them, but at least as far as the game book is concerned, I never considered that women couldn't join since I bought the 2e boxed set back in the 90s.
🤷‍♂️

It's been years since I read the War of the Lance trilogy. I just saw someone in a recent Dragonlance thread complain about women being allowed to join so I assumed that it was true, because I didn't enjoy the books enough to remember minutia like that about the setting.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I see nothing there to naysay that 5e is more about shallow cash grabs than deep lore when the only settings that are otherwise are those that have their original creator attached.
Grognards complain when they make something new (Radiant Citadel, The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, First World) or significantly change an older setting (Ravenloft), and people complain that WotC are idea-less cash-grabbers when they adapt previously made settings officially to 5e (M:tG, Exandria).

A lot of the deeper worldbuilding and lore are actually in the adventure books. Storm King's Thunder serves as a better gazetteer for the Sword Coast than the SCAG does. Waterdeep: Dragon Heist is a better gazetteer for Waterdeep than it is a heist adventure. The Wild Beyond the Witchlight contains more development for the Feywild than all of 5e's previous fey lore combined, and it just shows a single Domain of Delight. Curse of Strahd is a better gazetteer for Barovia than Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft is.

Grognards complain when they make something new (Radiant Citadel, The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, First World) or significantly change an older setting (Ravenloft), and people complain that WotC are idea-less cash-grabbers when they adapt previously made settings officially to 5e (M:tG, Exandria).

A lot of the deeper worldbuilding and lore are actually in the adventure books. Storm King's Thunder serves as a better gazetteer for the Sword Coast than the SCAG does. Waterdeep: Dragon Heist is a better gazetteer for Waterdeep than it is a heist adventure. The Wild Beyond the Witchlight contains more development for the Feywild than all of 5e's previous fey lore combined, and it just shows a single Domain of Delight. Curse of Strahd is a better gazetteer for Barovia than Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft is.
Curse of Strahd is better than VRGtR on Barovia sure, but both are fairly anemic than what came before. And the rest of your post is just fumbling about what “grognards” believe.

darjr

I crit!
🤷‍♂️

It's been years since I read the War of the Lance trilogy. I just saw someone in a recent Dragonlance thread complain about women being allowed to join so I assumed that it was true, because I didn't enjoy the books enough to remember minutia like that about the setting.
What? Really? Ugh.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Curse of Strahd is better than VRGtR on Barovia sure, but both are fairly anemic than what came before. And the rest of your post is just fumbling about what “grognards” believe.
Because it's not trying to be a gazetteer for Ravenloft when we already had that for 5e.

Because it's relevant. People complain when they bring back older settings for being "unoriginal" and complain when they make newer settings because they want the older ones updated. The point is that no matter what WotC does, someone will complain.

Remove ads

Remove ads