• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drawmij's Instant Summons - why only weapons, shields and implements?

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
The old version of Drawmij's Instant Summons worked for any object up to a certain weight. The new ritual only works for a weapon, shield or implement. Is there a good reason for this? I was hoping to put this on my spellbook in case it got stolen, but unfortunately that is not possible with the 4e ritual. :(

Ahglock

First Post
The old version of Drawmij's Instant Summons worked for any object up to a certain weight. The new ritual only works for a weapon, shield or implement. Is there a good reason for this? I was hoping to put this on my spellbook in case it got stolen, but unfortunately that is not possible with the 4e ritual. :(

I suspect that when it was open ended it was a source of possible exploits. Nothing in the core maybe, but you never know when you will add something in a supplement that just sucks to be able to be summoned. I don't think it would be possible, but something like you put the materials on and summon a sphere of annihilation.

Jhulae

First Post
I suspect that when it was open ended it was a source of possible exploits. Nothing in the core maybe, but you never know when you will add something in a supplement that just sucks to be able to be summoned. I don't think it would be possible, but something like you put the materials on and summon a sphere of annihilation.

You mean like 'The Adventurer's Vault'?

darkadelphia

First Post
I suspect that they did this to guarantee that it was equally useful for all characters--a character can summon a weapon (whether that's a dagger or a great sword). If you make a weight limit, you may reduce the utility to characters who use heavy items. But, if you just make the weight limit heavy enough for shields or heavy weapons, then you get into territory such as "I summon my bag full of immovable rods" or whatever.

DracoSuave

First Post

Which isn't a problem; You'd need the spellbook to cast the ritual to summon your spellbook....

MarkB

Legend
I can think of at least one possible abuse for it:

Retrieve the valuable McGuffin for your patron. attune yourself to it with DIS. Hand it over and get paid.

Wait hours or days until it's safely locked away, then discharge the ritual to summon it into your hands.

Sell it on to the next highest bidder.

Of course, that's still doable if the McGuffin happens to be a weapon, a shield, or an implement.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Be thankful they changed it.

The 3.5 ed version of the spell had zero uses. Whenever you thought you'd worked out something useful to do with it, a careful reading of the spell would squash your idea flat.

At least the 4e one can guarantee you are armed.

Remove ads