• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dresden Files - Storm Front

Elf Witch

First Post
Darth K'Trava said:
No doubt, Bob was cut for time. He was most likely in but due to halving the ep, had to be cut.

Poor Bob.

Since this was the original pilot and they made changes to it the reason Bob was not in it was because at this point he was just a skull with a glowing ball of light.

Also Susan a main character from the books was in this episode but she has been replaced by laura the waitress in the rest of the series.

Jim Butcher says he has been told that the full two hours of Storm Front is supposed to be ahown sometime this summer.

Matchstick

Adventurer
I thought it was one of the best episodes they've shown. There were some inconsistencies (why didn't Murphy follow or go along with Harry at the end) and there were some things that were well done (after he called Murphy to trace the license plate she sent someone to look for the car). There was a good chunk of magic, Harry's problems with technology were referred to openly at least twice,

This would have been a much better opener to the series than what they chose. I'll be interested to see how the two hour version is.

F5

Explorer
Hmm...I'm thinking of another genre/sci-fi show of recent years that was shown out-of-order and in wierd and changing time-slots, and how much that effected its' long-term viability. This sorta' thing shows a fairly large lack of support from the network...even though there's a world of difference between Sci-Fi and Fox, I'm sure.

I'm more and more OK with my decision to wait until this show comes out on DVD to see it...at least then it's likely to be in the correct order, and with the 2-hour unedited version of the pilot.

My decision has nothing at all to do with the fact that I don't get Sci-Fi, and don;t have a choice really. Nothing at all...

kingpaul

First Post
F5 said:
My decision has nothing at all to do with the fact that I don't get Sci-Fi, and don;t have a choice really. Nothing at all...
LOL

I thought the show was excellent, and suspected that it was supposed to be the original pilot. I hadn't heard that it was supposed to be 2 hours though. Knowing that, I really want to see what got removed to make the 1 hour time slot.

sniffles

First Post
It was obvious this was meant to be the pilot, despite editing to add in scenes from the other episode featuring Bianca.

I enjoyed it quite a lot, especially seeing how much of the book they originally kept, like the Blue Beetle and Mister the cat. But I was disappointed that it looks like there won't be any explanation (in the series) of why the Beetle got replaced by a Jeep or why Harry moved to a new apartment.

Vocenoctum

First Post
I think the main problem is that this is the "Pilot" in the strictest sense, rather than the first episode of the series. The pilot was a lot more true to the book than the rest of the series.

And, frankly, as I said before, it doesn't matter that it's shown out of order, the elements are still missing from the actual series. The pilot is simply a look at what the series SHOULD have been, before it was greatly changed.

(Also, for the beetle/jeep, it was another of those things that occured while I was distracted, but I was pretty sure the demon hit the beetle or something, and it was towed away and then he drives the jeep?)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Vocenoctum said:
And, frankly, as I said before, it doesn't matter that it's shown out of order, the elements are still missing from the actual series. The pilot is simply a look at what the series SHOULD have been, before it was greatly changed.
Well, what it would have been, certainly. I think a number of the changes between Storm Front and the rest of the TV series serve the television audience.

Murphy knowing as much about magic as she does in Storm Front makes it hard to understand why she doesn't lean on Harry more strongly, which of course goes against the whole cop/PI friction the series is supposed to have.

The old apartment is also incredibly generic, and could have been a set from Blade, Charmed or one of the wretched Angel sound stages.

And although I'm not much of a fan of Bob, he's a lot more distinctive than a big fat orange cat.

I like the Dresden Files series pretty much the way it is currently (although I feel it could stand to be a good bit darker and the relationship with the High Council better defined) and I can see why the changes were made from the TV version of Storm Front.

Elodan

Adventurer
Vocenoctum said:

QFT.

Best episode so far. I like Bob as a ghost and the jeep is fine. I just wish the tone of the actual series was like this episode. I was very happy to see Mister, the pentacle, a shield bracelet that actually shields and magic. Imagine a wizard actually doing magic. If I wanted a private eye show I'd rent Spencer for Hire or some such.

Pet peeve: Is it me or are Harry's wards at the (non pilot) house useless?

sniffles

First Post
Elodan said:
QFT.

Best episode so far. I like Bob as a ghost and the jeep is fine. I just wish the tone of the actual series was like this episode. I was very happy to see Mister, the pentacle, a shield bracelet that actually shields and magic. Imagine a wizard actually doing magic. If I wanted a private eye show I'd rent Spencer for Hire or some such.

Pet peeve: Is it me or are Harry's wards at the (non pilot) house useless?
Yes, I have to agree this last point is a sore one with me, too.

But I've noticed in recent episodes prior to "Storm Front" that Harry's been using more magic. I guess the series creators wanted to introduce it gradually. And I like it that Murphy doesn't know more about magic and the High Council - otherwise it would become just a detective show with magic instead of technology.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Murphy knowing as much about magic as she does in Storm Front makes it hard to understand why she doesn't lean on Harry more strongly, which of course goes against the whole cop/PI friction the series is supposed to have.
I like it better that she knows there is magic, since it makes more sense to me that she asks a "wizard" for help. In addition, assuming this is a pilot, it makes it odd that she knows less after the first episode than during...

The old apartment is also incredibly generic, and could have been a set from Blade, Charmed or one of the wretched Angel sound stages.
No complaints on the apartment, the jeep is fine, but just seemed like "change for the sake of change".
And although I'm not much of a fan of Bob, he's a lot more distinctive than a big fat orange cat.
I want BOTH, that's all. The cat wouldn't be very much added, but could be fun.

I like the Dresden Files series pretty much the way it is currently (although I feel it could stand to be a good bit darker and the relationship with the High Council better defined) and I can see why the changes were made from the TV version of Storm Front.

Most of the flavor from the book is gone, most of the people that I know that liked the books have already abandoned the show. The show on it's own merits is okay, but still a lot lacking.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads