• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dresden Files - Storm Front

Elf Witch

First Post
sniffles said:
But in the books she is part of the force that investigates weird crimes. Or do you mean she's not part of that in the show? I don't think they've ever said she's not part of Special Investigations on the series.

I'm a fan of the books, but the show is definitely growing on me. I miss some of the details from the books, certainly, but I recognize that a tv series is quite a different animal from a novel. If they tried to exactly reproduce the books they'd first have a lot more narration (never a good idea), and each story would span four or five episodes, also not a good idea in the present world of tv syndication packages.

They also want to appeal to an audience beyond just fans of the books, so they need to broaden the potential appeal of the show. This part disappoints me, but let's face it, somebody has to pay for tv shows, and advertisers won't advertise on shows that don't have an audience.

I have just got the feeling that in the TV show she is not the head of a special unit.

I don't mind changing thigs for TV like I said I like the way they are doing Bob. I also like the change in Morgan in the TV series he is not as rabid for Harry's head has he is in the books also we see more of Ancient Mai in the TV series as opposed to the books. All these changes are fine with me.

But Murphy I just don't like. I will really hate it if we ever see her damn kid. :mad:

Matchstick

Adventurer
Elf Witch said:
I so disagree with this. I think the actors in Blood Ties are doing a great job. Being a big fan of both book series I have to say I like Blood Ties better.

I like the characters and they are staying closer to the characters in the book.

I like the actor playing Dresden and Bob but I hate Murphy on the show. A lot of the changes I can understandthe changes with Bob. But I don't understand the reason for making Murphy the way she is, giving her a kid not having her part of the force that investigates weird crimes.

I have to keep telling myself when I watch okay relax they are not really doing the books.

I haven't heard of Blood Ties, what book series is that based on? Victory Nelson (was it Nelson)?

Vocenoctum

First Post
Rykion said:
I actually think the Dresden Files usually has good acting, just not the pilot. The actors looked very uncomfortable with their parts.

I think the individual actors are fine, but there is a total lack of chemistry and it's not very compelling.

Especially the one wizard ripping the wards off his doorway, that was comically bad.

I don't mind changes to make it fit TV better, but a lot seems to be just change for the sake of change. I can't imagine that showing less magic will make a series about magic appeal to more people, and changing to a jeep instead of a VW doesn't exactly say "watch me".

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Not having read the books -- they're on my list, never fear -- is Ancient Mal something non-human? Something about her on the show makes me want to guess she's a dragon in human form.

Elf Witch

First Post
Matchstick said:
I haven't heard of Blood Ties, what book series is that based on? Victory Nelson (was it Nelson)?

Yep the Tanya Huff series. I really like the actress that is playing Vicky Nelson she got the character down pat.

Elf Witch

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Not having read the books -- they're on my list, never fear -- is Ancient Mal something non-human? Something about her on the show makes me want to guess she's a dragon in human form.

It is still a mystery in the books as a matter of fact all the impression I have gotten so far is she is just an old old wizard.

I was thinking dragon too as I was watching.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads