• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drinking and gaming?

Do you or your group drink alcohol while gaming?

• Yes, always

Votes: 63 16.5%
  • Yes, sometimes

Votes: 131 34.3%
  • Rarely

Votes: 81 21.2%
  • No, Never

Votes: 107 28.0%

rgard

Adventurer
It depends on the year I was playing...

1. 1979 to 1983: Drank heavily at school when we played. Usually a case of 'Buckhorn' or 'Red, White and Blue' as we were destitute.

2. 1983 to 1989: Drank heavily in the Army when we played. Could afford Michelob, Strohs and Miller then.

3. 1996 to 2007: Never drink while playing at home with the kids.

4. 2005 to 2007: Never drink while playing at the shop.

Damn, I need a beer.

Thanks,
Rich

Mallus

Legend
Ulrick said:
He kept asking us, "Um...who's initiative is it now?"
That sounds like me when I'm sober.

I suppose that's why I'm not to averse to running a game while tipsy. There isn't much of a difference.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ulrick said:
But DM just took the bottle of Scotch and drank it straight up.

When in college, my group had a similar experience, though alcohol was not involved. The DM had a headache, and I offered him som ibuprophen I had around. Little did I kow, the DM had never had ibuprophen before, and he had the oddest response - he wound up acting much like he was drunk.

Up to the point of looking at us, getting a quizzical lok on his face, and saying, "Here, take some damage!" as he wobbily tossed a handfull of dice at us across the table. At that point, his girlfriend suggested we put him to bed, and we agreed...

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
I don't really drink and game any more, but back in college, hoo boy...

It seemed like once a semester or so both I (and my character) would be waking up in the morning thinking something like, "Hang on, did I sell my soul to a pit fiend last night?"

Now, when I was GMing, I never had more than a beer or two. Can't say the same for the players, of course. If you think drunk D&D is dangerous, you should try it with Call of Cthulhu sometime...

C.W.Richeson

Explorer
There used to be drinking at my games, but even mild to moderate drinking tended to result in the game devolving into silliness. While that's fun, it doesn't satisfy me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads