Dropping a shield

MarauderX

Explorer
Is dropping a shield a free or standard action? Per the PHB, it is a standard action to equip or stow a shield, but is dropping it to the ground free? And is there a difference between the light and heavy shields for this?

Aratargul

Explorer
Is a free action drop any items you currently hold, doesn't matter if it is a heavy or a light shield . PH1 page 289! B-)

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
There's no distinction to "unequip" a shield and hold it in your hand, though. Else, it couldn't be just a standard to stow it. It's a standard to stow it, but to drop it (from fully equipped) is just a free action. Strangely, you need to spend two actions, minor and standard, to pick it up and re-equip it.

That's a big penalty IMO so I don't see a need for enforcing a standard action to unequip the shield before dropping it.

frogged

First Post
"Using a Shield
To use a shield, a creature must strap it to the forearm. Doing so is a standard action, unless otherwise noted. Removing a shield is also a standard action."

-Rules Compendium pg. 267

S'mon

Legend
IRL you don't strap a shield to your arm to fight (that would just hinder you), you just hold the boss-strap in your hand. It shouldn't really take longer than picking up a weapon.

Chris Knapp

First Post
IRL you don't strap a shield to your arm to fight (that would just hinder you), you just hold the boss-strap in your hand. It shouldn't really take longer than picking up a weapon.
LOL. In real life, I sit at a table and play make believe with dice. :p But I agree, strapping & unstrapping is cumbersome (rules-wise!), especially when it gets in the way of me being able to immediately convert my shield to a giant frisbee of death as a free action.

S'mon

Legend
LOL. In real life, I sit at a table and play make believe with dice. :p But I agree, strapping & unstrapping is cumbersome (rules-wise!), especially when it gets in the way of me being able to immediately convert my shield to a giant frisbee of death as a free action.

And the giant frisbee of death is a lot more realistic than the strap-on! :lol:

Leeds Royal Armoury is great for trying out weapons, shields etc that way.

underfoot007ct

First Post

LOL, how many "REAL" shield have you used, in REAL Life ?

In the Real Roman world, One javlin hits your shield, sticks in, rendering that shield useless.

Remove ads