• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drow, Spell Resistance, and Me!

Bryntryst

First Post
I've just recently returned to the forums, and apparently can't make my own topic, so I'll breathe a little life into this one to ask a few questions.

The group that I play Living Greyhawk with is starting to offer Xen'drik Expeditions, and I have a promo creation card that permits me to play a drow. A question recently came up regarding spell resistance, though and it has me rethinking my choice.

According to the DMG and the PHB, spell resistance can be lowered by spending a standard action, and remains down until just before your next turn. The rules regarding SR also state that harmless spells always fail against spell resistance. My questions are as follows:

1) How do drow (or any other creature with SR) use healing potions? If they have to use a standard action to lower their SR, they don't have any actions left to dump a potion down their neck.
2) How do drow clerics magically heal their fallen (below -10) on the field of battle? An unconscious drow has no actions to lower their SR, and a cure spell automatically fails.
3) I know I'll think of one later, so instead I'll ask this. If I promise not to make a Drizzt clone, will you not hound me for playing a drow? :uhoh:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Remember that your spell resistance never affects your own spells, and, as far as potions are concerned, you're treated as both the caster and the target (1.).

2. Make Caster Level checks - if they want to heal them, to begin with.

Why would a Cure X Wounds spell automatically fail against spell resistance? I don't see any rule regarding the interaction of sell resistance and harmless spells ...

Last edited:

Bryntryst

First Post
PHB states that "a creature with spell resistance must voluntarily drop lower the resistance (a standard action) to be affected by a spell noted as harmless.". Pg 177.

The only thing that I saw that would come close to contradicting that was in the DMG's description of SR. It stated that while cleric spells were subject to SR, their use of positive and negative energy were not. It could be read that they were referring to turn/rebuke attempts, but could be argued in favor of cure/inflict spells, too.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Bryntryst said:
1) How do drow (or any other creature with SR) use healing potions?
They drink them, like anyone else. Per the SRD with my emphasis: "A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities."

Bryntryst said:
2) How do drow clerics magically heal their fallen (below -10) on the field of battle? An unconscious drow has no actions to lower their SR, and a cure spell automatically fails.
If they're below -10, they're dead. No action required. If you meant below 0 and above -10, then they just have to hope to beat the SR. Or, they do a heal check to stabilize their comrade first. You remember the heal check, right? That non-magical, mundane action? :)

Bryntryst said:
3) I know I'll think of one later, so instead I'll ask this. If I promise not to make a Drizzt clone, will you not hound me for playing a drow?
I personaly don't condone evil characters unless done perfectly, and I have met very few people who could do that. I would be extremely wary and tell you this, and then if you failed to pull it off, I would be very upset.

If you make a non-evil drow, then that by definition is a Driz'zt clone. But, hey, nothing really wrong with that if you've never actually done it before. I'd have no problem with a player trying out an established character concept.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Infiniti2000 said:
If you make a non-evil drow, then that by definition is a Driz'zt clone. But, hey, nothing really wrong with that if you've never actually done it before. I'd have no problem with a player trying out an established character concept.
I'm sure we'll agree to disagree on this, but I'd like to interject. :)

By definition, a Driz'zt clone is (at least) a 2WF scimitar-wielding good-aligned Drow Ranger. For effect (and cheese), said Drow must also have a hooded cloak which, when pulled over his head, allows him to walk around in broad daylight without being recognized as a Drow.

The reason I jumped on your statement is because, IMC, one player is playing a Drow Sorcerer/Favored Soul of Eilistraee, who is non-evil and most assuredly NOT a Driz'zt clone. She's a SHE, plus she wields a bastard sword two-handed style and doesn't long for a Figurine of Wondrous Power of any kind. :)

Question

First Post
Pretty much every DM ive seen says "Screw it, SR only affects hostile spells". Seriously the whole mechanic with lowering SR, having it stay down for an entire turn, blah blah blah just makes it a huge pain in the ass, more un-necessary things to keep track of.

Sithobi1

First Post
That gives a huge bonus to PCs with SR, though, since they 1) are no longer vulnerable to attacks while waiting to be healed, and 2) no longer have to keep track of it. The hassle is a balancing factor.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads