• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druid Character Help

Aust Meliamne

First Post
Help please. I can't decide what to do with the stats for my new moon elven druid lv 1. The stats are:
16 15 14 13 12 10

I kind of want a decent dex, cha, con, and int. str is my lowest priority. I was thinking of
S 10 D 16 C 13 I 13 W 16 Ch 12
that way, I could up my con at level 4, and my wis at levels 8, 12, and 16, giving me a wisdom of 19 at level 16 (just in time for level 9 spells at level 17) and my int opens up the expertise feat chain.

What do you guys (and gals ;-) think?

BTW, the dm is only allowing the following books:
core rules, tome and blood, Sword and Fist, and Defenders of the faith, plus races and feats and spells from the FRCS

-- Aust

(edited some spelling errors)

Last edited:

milo

First Post
Looks good, those are pretty good for a druid. I am running a druid/fighter/wizard, I had to take the wizard level(cursed staff) but a druid is a good class on it's own or in a multiclass. The intelligence might be a good score if you would ever want to multiclass to a wizard. If you are just going to go straight class druid the stats are in the right place.

Aust Meliamne

First Post
Crothian said:
Any ideas what you are doing with the Druid?

Not really. I kind of want to go for the wandering protector of nature kind of guy running around with a tiger or something (maybe a dire wolf, eventually). Gonna have to wait for my animal companion for a bit.

On another note, can a druid dismiss a animal companion to "free" up room for a larger Hit Dice one?

Nevermind that last question. According to the Animal Friendship spell (pg 173 phb) you can indeed dismiss animal companions to make room for bigger ones. I should really read the book before I ask silly questions ;)

-- Aust

Last edited:

milo

First Post
Yes, an animal companion is just a "friend" that you gain through the spell animal friendship. You don't really have a bond with this animal like you do with familiars or bonded mounts. You can release the animal and cast it on a new animal.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Maybe I'm a goober, but the stats you have to work with don't look like the proposed arrangement for your druid.

I'm playing a druid now who hasn't really gotten into serious combat since 4th level (he's seventh level now). Spells rule the day, and if I did want to fight, I'd do it as a wildshaped critter. If I were you, I'd consider switching CON and DEX: you'll get more hit points, which will do you good when you're wildshaped.

Of course, if your DM allows Masters of the Wild, you may want to see if you can wait a week until it comes out: it may have all sorts of fun dweep and cheese that'll suggest new ways to create a fun druid character.

Daniel

Crothian

First Post
THe probly is as an elf he gets +2 to dex and -2 to con, so the dex score would drop 4 points if he did the switch. With what he has he can use a decent ranged weapon. Ya, wild shaping is a druids primary attack mode, but he could save that for special occasions. You can actually wildshape into animals that aren't the toughest. That'd be a change.

Noldor Elf

First Post
Better keep the higher dex, especially if you can take Mielikki as patron deity (from FRCS, allows druids to use all the weapons that are allowed to rangers, proficiencies as druid in PHB)

With that (and being elf) you can take bow as primary weapon.

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Why not dropping STR to 8 and rising CON a little bit? As already said, if a druid has to fight, he'll use wildshape, so a higher CON would be better. A druid of Mielikki can use a bow and so does not need a high STR. The spell flame blade needs no high STR but deals good damage, Magic fang and the greater version improve unarmed combat, shillelagh and brambles (later take spikes!) are really good for melee combat with a club or quarterstaff and simply override the -1 because of low STR.

Numion

First Post
You wont need a high Dex, since youre more likely to be wildshaped when you melee, and thus have the wildshapes dex.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads