Druid overpowering us all

Ricochet

Explorer
I wanted to know if everything is by the rules in our group..

The party:

Fighter 7, a gladiator-style type with many of the int-feats
Rogue 7, multiattacker, very sneaky
Wizard 8, illusionist, prohibited school Enchantment
Druid 8, badass

In a recent battle, the druid wild-shaped into a bear, and the wizard cast "Haste" on the party. In the following round, the druid hit three claw attacks, two of these critical hits, and missed with his bite. Damage = 70 (!)

Normally, we are not high-damage, high-powered types.

His regular damage is 35-50, he hits better than the fighter, deals more direct damage than the mage, and gets multiple attacks for free due to Wildshape.. THe thing is, are we doing this right, or are we overlooking some aspect of the Druid to balance things out?

edit: oh, all our characters is point-buy 28, and the druids stats are: str 10, dex 12 con 12 int 14 wis 18 (16 in lvl1) cha 10

Last edited:

Kal Skid

First Post
It only gets worse as you get higher level. My level 24 Feral Svirfneblin Druid (20 Druid, 1 Hie, 2 Monk, 1 Tattooed Monk) (CR 28) can kill Great Wyrm Prismatic Dragons without too much effort. Epic Spellcasting is insanely powerful (hint; the fortify seed is your friend).

Ricochet

Explorer
Yes okay, but are we playing it by the rules?

There is a few years to epic in our group btw, since we play low-power

Chingerspy

First Post
ParagonofVirtue said:
Yes okay, but are we playing it by the rules?

There is a few years to epic in our group btw, since we play low-power

From the evidence you have posted, I cant see anything wrong.

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Hmm, I've some questions on your druid, Paragon.

In what bear type is the druid fighting (black, brown, polar, dire, legendary)? Off my mind, a dire bear has STR 31 and deals 2d4+10 with his two claws and 2d8+5 with the bite. That's 45 points with the claws (on the average) and 14 with the bite, assuming a hit for all attacks while hasted.

Has he buffed himself with Bull's Strength or similar magic, before entering combat?

Are you playing 3.0, MotW or 3.5 Wild Shape?

If you use 3.5 WS, can the druid buff himself somehow with Animal Growth? It's a level 5 spell, so normally a level 8 druid shouldn't be able to cast it.

@Kal Skid: How does your druid (CR 28) bests a great wyrm prismatic dragon???

Darklone

Wildshaped druids are hell. Usually their only problem is low AC, so power attacking monsters with good AC rip them to pieces. Dragons with bracers of armour +8 and ring of protection +5 for example :D

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
ParagonofVirtue said:
I wanted to know if everything is by the rules in our group

So as an eighth level druid he can wildshape into Large creatures, right? And of no more than 8HD.

Presumably then he is changing into a large brown bear. He still only has his normal hit points, and his claws can do 1d8+8 and his bite 2d6+4. He has a 10ft square facing which makes it harder for his allies to fight alongside him and easier for his enemies to flank him.

Although you say

ParagonofVirtue said:
Normally, we are not high-damage, high-powered types.

I think you will have to adjust your thinking to say that, under certain circumstances, you have a high-damage character in your midst (but only with his normal hit points, which are an additional achilles heel)

Cheers

Diirk

First Post
In 3.5 his hp are modified by the additional con wildshaping gives him. Or if he shifts into a small bird he'd lose con from the transition. Been about a billion threads on this already, might want to browse back a few pages to find some.

Druids are somewhat an oddity in that the strength of this class compared to others differs wildly based on the nature of the campaign. In a low money/magic campaign, druids will have a huge melee damage output compared to the groups fighters etc. In a campaign with high starting stats, the fighters get a boost that the druid doesn't. In a high magic campaign, weapons etc will be alot more common that ways to boost a druids damage.

You mentioned that you're low power players... imo this is one of the areas druids are particularly good in. Druids don't make low powered characters. Companion + wild shape + spells to fall back on makes for a very powerful (and more importantly, versatile) combination.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Diirk said:
In 3.5 his hp are modified by the additional con wildshaping gives him. Or if he shifts into a small bird he'd lose con from the transition. Been about a billion threads on this already, might want to browse back a few pages to find some.

I must have missed those billion threads (no wonder the boards get slow sometimes!)

I was just checking the SRD entry and I thought it said "works as per polymorph" and with polymorph the new CON certainly doesn't affect hp...

Don't suppose you remember the title of any of those threads?

Remove ads