D&D General Druids and Path Dependency: Why the Scimitar Helps Illuminate D&D

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I liked Golarion's take on Scimitar. Make it a Bard weapon!

tumblr_n48n5z4q1W1t8junlo3_1280.jpg

Voadam

Legend
I always thought scimitars were off brand/theme for them as druids, but it lets them be turned into more unbranded weird nature/forest paladins.

I played one PC druid that way. Scimitar as sword for the crusading nature divine knight champion who hunted the unnatural. Very little Celtic connection.

I also had a character concept of using the druid with scimitar build to make a viking pirate who learned Vanir/Alfar magic.

Voadam

Legend
I like reskinning druids to be a type of shaman, or witch, or Merlin type concept, or Bjornaer mages from Ars magica, or other concepts.

I find the actual druid descriptions throughout D&D editions particularly lacking on their narrative specifics.

Eberron did a nice job though on developing some neat druid traditions and I really like the OGL Scarred Land druid traditions where they are tied to primordial elemental titans while clerics are tied to gods.

Last edited:

wellis

Explorer
Wouldn't a khopesh have better fit a "sickle" than a scimitar? And why couldn't Gygax have just added in a sickle as a weapon?

Voadam

Legend
Wouldn't a khopesh have better fit a "sickle" than a scimitar? And why couldn't Gygax have just added in a sickle as a weapon?
When Gygax included a sword Khopesh as a separate weapon in 1e Unearthed Arcana they were added to the druid allowed weapon list too.

I assume a Khopesh would be covered by the sickle-sword, etc. in pre-unearthed arcana 1e scimitars.

Remove ads