• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Druids, Elves and Bows, oh my!

Kender42

Explorer
Interesting question asked to me by one of my players..

Could an elven druid, take a longbow?

I was thinking if he used wooden arrows only, which would be like d6 instead of d8, sure.

Anyone know if there is any reason why not?

Daeinar

First Post
Yes he could. He could of course use arrows with heads crafted from stone. Would make a bit more sense than using wholly wooden arrows...

There must be sume rule for stone weapons, I'm pretty sure I read something about that. Just can't remember where it was...

bret

First Post
Sure, but it has a price.

PHB pg. 34
A druid who wears prohibited armor or weilds a prohibited weapon is unable to use any of her magical powers while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter.

Bow isn't on the authorized list, but an Elf would automatically be proficient with one.

Pull back the string on that bow and fire, bye bye powers for a day.

Simple, right?

bret

First Post
This is the rules forum. My answer was what the rules say.

Any other answer would be something for the House Rules forum. There are plenty of people who disagree with the Druid's weapon and armor limitations, so if a person wants options they would get plenty there.

Myself, I think if it as just another silly D&D rule.

Negative Zero

First Post
yes this is the rules forum, and a rules Q was asked and was answered. i don't hink however it should prevent you from posting any opinions that you may or may not have, just because it's the rules forum. discussion of hte rules can include "what i think about them", no? of course if the thread degenerates into a house ruling something, then it's a different matter.

now, all that said, i've seen it posted a few times, that the druidic weapon restricrions were placed there more for flavour reasons, than for game balance ones. it's even been said that this has been admitted by game designers. i've never seen any of these statements myself, just the mention of them on these boards.

personally, i see no reason that a druid shouldn't be allowed to use a bow. it's practically the quinessantial hunting instrument. and hunting is an essential part of nature. if you're the DM, make a decision that you think is fair, if you're the player, try to find a good roleplaying reason to allow it. DMs love that stuff :)

-NegZ

Remove ads