• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drunkeness IRL: Is it a diversion for you or a need?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I don't drink a lot, but I drink often. I am insomniac, and it is usally easier for me to get some sleep if I've had a glass or two of wine.

Contrary to the words beneath my name, I rarely drink enough to get drunk. But when I do, I try not to post stuff here while I am in that condition...I just thought it was a funny thing to put beneath my name (and a fun way to remind everyone not to take me very seriously.)

So to answer your question: both, I suppose.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I usually only drink when I'm depressed. A couple years back I was in a bad situation and drank almost every single night. Now that the situation has changed, I don't drink much anymore, maybe twice a month. I got very cynical and jaded of the bar life.

I don't totally abstain from drinking alcohol but it happens that rarely that many people think that I am a teetotaller. I don't think I even had anything to drink the last 4 or 5 New Year's Eves (the night of the year where most people seem to have at least 1 or 2 alcoholic beverages).

I used to drink a bit when I was a teenager/early 20's and would go out clubbing most Friday nights. I am now 27 and married with a 1-year-old baby girl and I can't even remember the last time that I went out drinking on a Friday night! (not that I miss it at all)

I think when I used to go out, I drank to reduce my inhibitions/increase my confidence levels. Nowadays I really only drink if I like the taste of a particular alcoholic drink or (very, very rarely) to be sociable. My friends don't peer pressure me into drinking but every now and again I may have a drink or two with them.

I don't like the taste of beer or wine so that really only leaves spirits. In most cases I am just as happy drinking soft drink or water from a taste perspective. Since soft drink/water is a heck of a lot cheaper than spirits, the end result is I don't drink much at all.

Olaf the Stout

I don't drink. It dulls senses and creates problems. Society better off without it.

Or is it?

I wonder why nearly every culture eventually found some "drug" that inhibits restraints. And why people that drink seem to have more friends and sexual partners then those that don't?

Is our natural state too uptight? And we need a controllable way to remove or lessen our inhibitions? It provides us with the courage to do things we normally wouldn't do, and also gives as a social excuse to explain it away if it didn't work out? Hitting on a girl fails - no worries, you were drunk, it will probably not affect her view on you much, and others will forgive you, too - you succeed? Great, you took a risk and it worked out. Enjoy!

Or am I just jumping to conclusions from personal experiences? (Being a "no-alcohol"-guy myself)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I wonder why nearly every culture eventually found some "drug" that inhibits restraints.

Because we are neurochemically complex, such that lots of stuff has some effect upon our brains. And humans, being adapters by nature, will try anything once. Consider cheese - at some point somebody said, "Hey, this milk gone bad to the point of gloppiness might be good to eat!" Beer is simply a water and grain mixture that's rotten in a particular manner.

And why people that drink seem to have more friends and sexual partners then those that don't?

Quantity is no indication of quality. Given the quality of friends and sexual partners gained while drunk, I am not convinced they can be counted as a positive result. I mean, we have the phrase "beer goggles" for a reason, right?

Is our natural state too uptight?

Too uptight... to make friends? I'm thinking you're going a bit too far there.

Quantity is no indication of quality. Given the quality of friends and sexual partners gained while drunk, I am not convinced they can be counted as a positive result.
Sure, there might be some bad apples. But that doesn't change that people often get "closer" on or after parties where they drunk beer. Sometimes, the right ones meet when they normally wouldn't.

I mean, we have the phrase "beer goggles" for a reason, right?
Yes, but it might also work in "unexpected" ways - make people consider or follow options they usually wouldn't have, and figuring out what they like the results.

Too uptight... to make friends? I'm thinking you're going a bit too far there.
No, not too make friends. But to open yourself up often enough to give people an actual chance to come close enough to you. Or to show enough of yourself to attract others. Or to just tell someone that you're interested when you usually would just fear the rejection.

The way I see it, alcohol might serve as a kind of catalyst - sometimes enabling a reaction, sometimes speeding them up. (And sometimes, you don't need it all).

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Quantity is no indication of quality.
For you (and me). But different people appreciate different things - and some people DO value quantity more than quality.

Personally, I'm not big on alcoholic beverages and I cannot stand beer in any form. But I do have some liking for some stuff (mainly cocktails, some liqueurs) on fitting occasions (about once in two or three months) - though I never drink a lot and when I get a bit tipsy, I immediately stop.

For the mood: If you're hanging out, a sufficient amount of natural cheeriness can do the same as alcohol. Though students seem to be fond of "accelerating" that cheeriness a bit.

Cheers, LT.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads