Dry Spell

Brain

First Post
Slyfen will approach the cave and scout it out. (in the same manner as I described just before the ogre encounter)

Galethorn

First Post
Before getting to his place in the marching order, Eolan ties his horse to a tree, and makes sure he's got his shield and sword ready.

"Did anybody remember to bring a torch? It sure looks dark."

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
After Eolan has had a chance to regain his bearings a bit, Belisha walks back over to him. "Aye that was a brave thing you did, but you better rest before more ogre-slaying for you," she says. "I have some more potions but I say we should save them up, just in case. Might be more nasty ogres about, wouldn't you say Rufus?" She pats the dog, while Narkus gives an irritated, jealous hoot.

Hardin then kneels down over the knight. He mutters a short prayer to Moradin while moving his hands an arms in the ancient sacred pattern. He then lays his hands on Eolan, who feels a rush of healing power flow from the rocks into his battered body. "Ah, much better," he says as the healing magic flows through him.

After checking the ogre’s body, Slyfen glides back over to the rest of the group. "I think we are safe, for now. Are we going to go into the cave or have we had enough trouble for today?"

Hardin stands and replies, "I say we press on while we have some surprise on our side."

"I agree, I think I could take a bit more pummeling before my next nap," concurs the knight.

The rogue nods and says, "Stay here a moment, let me check out the first bit of the cave before we go in." He then begins to creep quietly over to the cave.

As Slyfen moves toward the cave entrance, Eolan takes the opportunity to tie his trusty warhorse and pack mule to a nearby tree. While securing the mule, he sees that he and Belisha have each brought along a torch. Even better, he recalls that Hardin brought an everburning torch, a true irony as Hardin is the only member of the party that can actually see in the dark. Eolan shakes his head and smiles to himself. Light will probably be an issue in the interior of the cave, yet which of the heroes will want to enter the dark maw without both hands free?

Once at mouth of the cave, Slyfen carefully searches the entrance area for traps or alarms. He finds no traps, but through careful examination ascertains that the ogre was probably here as a guard, protecting whatever or whoever is in the cave.

He then continues into the cave, sneaking along to near the turn. The interior of the tunnel is about 5 feet wide and about a dozen feet high, and appears to have been carved out of the brown sandstone hill by some long-ago waterway. The dry, dusty floor of the tunnel is uneven and scattered with stray stones and pebbles. Without putting his head around the corner, he listens for a few seconds. He can hear some shuffling and short, fearful whispers. He can make out at least 2 to 3 distinct voices, and the whispers are in 2 different languages, one of which he recognizes as Orc. However, he can’t make out exactly what is being said.

The elf then sneaks back and reports to the group what he has discovered.

OOC Notes:

Hardin
Casts
cure moderate wounds
Restores [2d8+3] 8 + 5 + 3 = 16 hp
Eolan restored to 17 hp

Slyfen
Search check die result 20 + 10 = 30
Move silently check die result 7 + 9 = 16
Listen check die result 18 + 8 = 26
Move silently check die result 20 + 9 = 29

Walls and floors will be treated as hewn stone.

Remember, you can always find your character sheets, including your equipment, in the Dry Spell Rogues Gallery. ;)

Krug

Newshound
"Orcish? Perhaps Relgore is in there with the rest of his gang. We should strike soon, though we must be cautious. They will probablly notice the absence of the ugly Ogre soon," says Belisha.

Brain

First Post
Slyfen nods as Belisha speaks. "I agree, we should go in there soon. They may have prisoners, some of the whispers sounded scared. We must be careful however, there may be an ambush waiting. If you guys think its a good idea, I'll drink my potion of invisibility and go look at what is around the corner while you guys prepare for a fight. We should use our knowledge to our advantage, and drink potions, cast spells, ready weapons before we engage the cave dwellers."

Slyfen pauses to catch a breath and let his words sink in a bit, then continues.

"I'll be rendered invisible for 3 minutes. If what I see in the cave appears to be too tough for us, I will come back out and talk to you. If I haven't returned in one minute, come inside ready to fight. Hopefully I'll be able to find a good spot to ambush one of them from. If you hear my signal whistle, run in immediately, because I have been discovered and need help."

He then looks around at his companions to see their reactions to his plan.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
"Sounds good to me."

Hardin will hand his everburning torch to Belisha, because she only needs one hand to cast spells, and then after Slyfen leaves he'll cast Bull's Strength, Shield of Faith, Magic Weapon, and Divine Favor on himself. For 3 minutes, Str is now 18, his AC is 19, he attacks at +11 and deals 1d8+8 damage swinging two handed.

Mmm, clerical buffs.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Belisha nods at Slyfen's suggestion. She receives the torch from Hardin, while Narkus whoots in protest irritatedly. She sees Hardin cast his magics and wonders what they're about; her magic seems so short lived compared to his she can't help but be envious.

Brain

First Post
If everyone agrees, Slyfen then gets out his potion of invisibility and an oil of bless weapon. He opens the bottles, and sneaks back into the beginning of the cave, near to where he listened before. When he gets there, he drinks his potion of invisibility, then draws his rapier. Rapier and oil in hands, and signal whistle at his lips, Slyfen sneaks around the corner to check out what is beyond.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Hardin will also take out his potion of enlarge person and drink it if and when they attack (duration 1 minute). That will drop his AC down to 17 again, boost his damage up to 2d6+9, and give him reach.

Last edited:

Galethorn

First Post
Eolan straps his shield to his back, and carries a torch in his off-hand.

"I'm all for going after the orcs. They usually don't have near as much reach as that blasted ogre."

Remove ads