DT's Old School Campaign- (Chapter 4: The Guild and The Girl)

Fenris

Adventurer
Rovan, standing at the back on the group, watching everything starts at the twist in the pit. He frowns then sees Ed head to the edge of the pit. Rovan decides it's time to act and quietly casts a sleep spell on as many of Liar's guards as he can.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Quinn
[sblock]
Rose, Quinn, and Vera entered the next two rooms, but found in them two different foreign men who treated their female slaves decently. In fact, what Quinn saw helped raise his view of his fellow men for these warriors quickly deduced what he was about and decided to take a chance for freedom with their women protectively in tow. It would seem that some of the women and men had become pairs during their oppression and became more akin to husband and wife suffering together through hard times. They followed his directions and began to free other couples that they knew and trusted. Soon, Quinn found himself in the middle of a full-blown ressurection as the slaves began to turn on the cruelest of their numbers.

As he came closer to the center of the level, he came to a stair leading to the arena and the pens. It was, however, guarded by a short man with a wild beard and twitch in his eyes. The man held a long handled axe and approached. "Oh, what do we have here? Three betrayers of Mukang's faith who are trying to get to the pens? Turn and run, for the Grunnin's axe thirsts!"
[/sblock]

Everyone Else
[sblock]
Everything happened so fast. Edvan had positioned himself to launch Rexor upwards, but the brown bear closed too fast upon the fleeing warrior. He struck the beast with a solid shot to the face, but the bear caught his rear foot with a strike as Rexor took a step on Edvan's palms. Rexor's foot was cut deeply and flowed with blood as he struck the ground and screamed when the bear bit into his shoulder. Somehow the mercenary scrambled out of the creature's grasp and propped himself up once more by his quarterstaff, creature and beast now circling one another carefully. "He barely caught me. Shall we try again? Perhaps if you distracted him so I can hit him from the rear," Rexor suggested hopefully.

Liar chuckled in glee, "Oh, what a show! I thought Rexor was going to get away for a moment there! And did you see that lucky strike by the bear? We really are going to have to keep that animal!" At that moment, Hilmdyn decided to take a leap into the pit in order to help Edvan, but missed striking the bear as he came down. Lola closed in on Liar and stuck her blade against his ribs. "What's this? Foul! Foul! You are ruining the games! Guards, protect your master!"

Before the six slaves around Liar could act, Rovan cast his spell knocking unconscious the lot of them as he tactically avoided Lola in the radius of effect. "Oh, I suppose you think you are clever... but there are so many more servants at my disposal..." Liar glanced across the hall and the Wilders could see several armed slaves approaching cautiously so not to endanger Lord Mukang. Also, many of the mercenaries themselves seemed torn between action and inaction. It was obvious that mental calculations were being conducted on how they might best profit from the chaotic scene.
[/sblock]

Fenris

Adventurer
Rovan decided he must tip the balance of power now while he had the chance. He still had a sleep spell to use in case of trouble, but these men could be pushed to their side, or at least away from Liar's side right now.

Rovan stepped forward and spoke, though he left his mask on for fear of being identified and tracked later.

"MY friends, do not be fooled by this trecherous man. See before you how he tosses away the life of a devoted friend and feeds him to a bear. How long before one of you suffers the same fate? How long will you let him treat you like offal that he can toss away for his own sordid amusement? Mercenary or slave, this man had no power over you anymore. His corruption ends now, his control over you ends now. There will be no retribution for leaving, but if you stay to defend him you will suffer his fate. Now make the choices of free men and go!" says Rovan in his most commanding noble voice.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
As he came closer to the center of the level, he came to a stair leading to the arena and the pens. It was, however, guarded by a short man with a wild beard and twitch in his eyes. The man held a long handled axe and approached. "Oh, what do we have here? Three betrayers of Mukang's faith who are trying to get to the pens? Turn and run, for the Grunnin's axe thirsts!"

Quinn looks at the grizzeld greeasy guard and slips into his natral accent, "Aye Matey, have ye not heard? lare m'kang be deaded and is body dragged to the sea to be thrown to davy jones locker, he is. Ye be wisen up if ye drop ye ax and be headen to a ship for new ports, as the overlord is not takin a kinden to slavers these days".

He keeps his silvered dagger ready for attack.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Edvan welcomes Hilmdyn and retrieves his hand axe from the man. "Let's put an end to this, my friend." The three will (hopefully) work together to put down the bear quickly and exit the arena.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Everyone Else
[sblock]

Liar chuckled in glee, "Oh, what a show! I thought Rexor was going to get away for a moment there! And did you see that lucky strike by the bear? We really are going to have to keep that animal!" At that moment, Hilmdyn decided to take a leap into the pit in order to help Edvan, but missed striking the bear as he came down. Lola closed in on Liar and stuck her blade against his ribs. "What's this? Foul! Foul! You are ruining the games! Guards, protect your master!"

Before the six slaves around Liar could act, Rovan cast his spell knocking unconscious the lot of them as he tactically avoided Lola in the radius of effect. "Oh, I suppose you think you are clever... but there are so many more servants at my disposal..." Liar glanced across the hall and the Wilders could see several armed slaves approaching cautiously so not to endanger Lord Mukang. Also, many of the mercenaries themselves seemed torn between action and inaction. It was obvious that mental calculations were being conducted on how they might best profit from the chaotic scene.
[/sblock]

With her blade still pressed against his ribs Lola leaned her lips in close to Liar's ear. "It's quite a shame, really, my Lord, that you would have such a nice set up here yet choose to populate it with slaves. You could have had the world, I imagine, and perhaps for a time you did. Now you'll have nothing but a rotting corpse." With that Lola dug her dagger into his side and twisted it, in such a fashion as to make the wound almost impossible to survive.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Quinn
[sblock]
Quinn had been using his cutlass and kept it out.

The odd man leapt forward with weapon raised. "You match taunts with taunts well enough. Let's see how you match steel!" As the man closed with Quinn he did not account for the two nearby women fighting like tigers. Steadily the three hedged him in, though Rose made a bad lunge during the battle and was rapped on the side of her head with the bottom of the man's axe haft. She lay stunned and tried to recover. Quinn and Vera fought on, their combined skills eventually felling their foe, but not before he was able to strike Quinn twice for bloody damage (-8 hps to Quinn).

Vera helped Rose back up, and the group took the stairs to the arena. Inside they saw a bloodied Hilmdyn and exhausted Edvan standing near a wounded bear that was now about to maul an injured and shocked Liar Mukang. The lever to the arena portcullis separating the group was against the tunnel wall, which Quinn pulled to open...
[/sblock]

Everyone Else
[sblock]
"HA! We want gold little man! You speak as if we are like his slaves, but you do not know us. We know of Liar's treachery, but we also know of his rewards!" Thus saying, the mercenaries began to draw swords and approach the group but something odd suddenly happened...

A surging crowd of chained and collared bodies suddenly erupted with blood curdling shrieks up from the lower levels. Quinn had succeeded in setting enough enslaved warriors free, and many in turn were decent men who protected their fellow captive women in Mukang's dark fortress. Now the decent of the women and men fought side by side one another in a bid for freedom, and those with lesser bravery had taken heart and joined them as their success seemed to grow. The words of Rovan took hold of the others in the main hall, and the tide of bodies suddenly through themselves upon the better armed and trained mercenaries. But even those experienced in war could do only so much against a tide of those enraged. Years of released anguish matched its might against steel and desperation.

Mukang said in shock as Lola tightened her grip, "This! This is unforgiveable! He threw his head backwards and in an attempt to break Lola's grip, but was stabbed badly twice before he could slip away. He tried to cast a spell, but Rovan also moved forward and struck him, driving him over the edge of the pit where he landed screaming in front of the brown bear.

The bear had been wounded quite badly by Rexor, Edvan, and Hilmdyn although Rexor finally fell to claw and fang. Hilmdyn also took a bad swipe, but Liar had fallen in front of the bear and now provided a welcome distraction. Behind them, Edvan and Hilmdyn heard the portcullis raise...
[/sblock]

Quinn, Rose, and Vera appeared in the pit and shouted for Hilmdyn and Edvan to escape. Not looking twice, the two joined Quinn before pulling the lever to the pit and locking the Lord and Bear inside. They were joined by a dozen yipping kobolds who took point and attacked a solitary guard unlucky enough to be fleeing in their direction. The lead kobold said to Edvan as they all ran into the main hall and joined Lola and Rovan, "You not lie, funny man. You kept your bargain, now we keep ours. We cut our way out, yes?"

The entire fortress seemed to be engaged in hand to hand fighting now, with melee fought every ten or so feet. As for Liar Mukang, he seemed to be unsuccessfully trying to talk down a bear and use parts of Rexor as bait to distract.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"Yes, let's get out of here quickly, I think our work here is finished. Though..." she paused and looked around the craziness. "You all go, I should go look for my friend. She helped us get in, I should help her get out."

She waited just one moment before heading back to where their room was, hoping to find Richelle d'Artua there.

Fenris

Adventurer
Rovan rolled his eyes but knew Lola was right and after chucking a chair at Liar's head ran after Lola to keep her safe.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Edvan runs towards Quinn and the young women and out towards freedom. He runs amongst the kobolds brandishing his hand axe and viciously attacking any guards who stand against them. He agrees with the lead kobold, "Yes, we'll cut our way out and woe to anyone who tries to stop us!" He'll follow in Lola and Rovan's wake and try to take out any opposition so they can reach their destination quickly.

Remove ads