DT's Old School Campaign- (Chapter 4: The Guild and The Girl)

Fenris

Adventurer
Rovan sighed I need that head back he thought.

He slumped down next to Craig. "Aye, and you make sure to tell them not to mess with us again. That we are hunting for who did this, and will exact out revenge in untold pain and suffering. Now, did the guild say why they did this? We are innocent folks Craig, and have done no wrong, but by the Gods we shall not abide by such treachery! Tell me what you knwo of the killers, what they said, who sent them, was it a guild faction? Why were we targeted Craig."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
OOC: As far as you want. The players made the adventure what it was and I just built the plot around their actions. I honestly had free-styled it before the first mission and before the characters started to develop.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Oh my goodness, is this where we left this thread?? [MENTION=34958]Deuce Traveler[/MENTION] I just reread this thread what an amazing time and a great story! Any change at all of getting ]this going again at some point? :D

[MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] [MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION] [MENTION=21353]ScottDeWar[/MENTION] [MENTION=6078]garyh[/MENTION] had a great time playing with you guys!!

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
OOC: This is a coincidence. I was just going through a bunch of Judge's Guild material and remembering this campaign fondly. Life happens, and a lot of folks had to move on, so we ended early. But still, this may be the most successful BECMI campaign in ENWorld history, so I'm still proud of it. The follow-on adventures would have had the team leave the City-State for a jaunt into nearby settlements, and eventually liberate a hometown of a certain cleric PC. From there, the heroes would have gained the notice of powerful patrons in and around the City-State and would have eventually returned to the city to save it from a menace. This would have led to followers and a headquarters being established. Then off again to some of the other powerful city-states of the game world on missions for these patrons. Then titles would have been given, and a frontier town established under the heroes control. So we would have gone from BECMI city adventures from levels 1-3 as per the basic set, then 4-13 in wilderness adventures and exploration as per the expert set, then having titles and holdings of the companion and master sets from levels14+. In this way I could have perfectly merged the Judges Guild campaign world with BECMI.

GlassEye

Adventurer
That sounded like an awesome plan, DT. Too bad I had some issues at the time and that I needed to withdraw. :( I've always enjoyed the stories you've crafted, even that crazy post-apocalyptic/sci-fi one. ;)

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I agree with Glasseye, I really enjoy your style! The game was a lot of fun, the group got along well and I just had a blast. This was one of my first PBP games! I also enjoyed the surprise Sci Fi / Space game, though I did have some playing issues at the time so didn't get to post as often as I would like,

DT, planning on running any new games soon? :D

Fenris

Adventurer
That sounded like an awesome plan, DT. Too bad I had some issues at the time and that I needed to withdraw. :( I've always enjoyed the stories you've crafted, even that crazy post-apocalyptic/sci-fi one. ;)

I agree, DT has always created such amazing stories. I fondly remember all of the great games I have played in, especially the first I played with DT, The Last of the Dorinthians. That was an amazingly long campaign!

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I still have to write the final post of our D&D 3.5/Metamorphosis Alpha/Star Frontiers game. I finally found my game notes so I could complete it, but work has been extremely busy. Check out an old post from 2007 about me mixing Spaceship Zero with Star Frontiers: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...NWorld/page3&p=3540667&viewfull=1#post3540667

:) That post was made in 2007, way before I started the campaign.

I have an idea of starting a game where the party plays ambassadors to nations on their frontier in order to repair alliances, create trade, solve disturbances before they lead to humanitarian crises, etc. I already have three or so adventures in mind, but I am not sure what genres I should merge. I was thinking I could do it in space, with Pathfinder characters and the Dragonstar campaign setting. The mood would be a combination of Poul Anderson's Flanery series and Keith Lamar's Retief series. Though one adventure is based on a work by Jack Vance I don't want to reveal yet...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonstar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Flandry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jame_Retief

The other option is to make it entirely high or low fantasy, depending on the system used. In the high fantasy system, the party would be made entirely of Bards and alternative Bard classes as found in Pathfinder, since negotiation and diplomacy would be so important and a party made entirely of alterations of one main class type is interesting to me. I recently played in an abandoned game here on ENWorld where we were all deviations from the main Thief Class (bruiser, counterfeiter, etc). However, the players might not want to play an all Bard cast of diplomats. In that case I would lean more on Jack Vance and Glen Cook for tone and I would likely use something like the BECMI, OSRIC, or Castle and Crusades for the rule-set, just because I love the retro systems that much, especially with low fantasy. The campaign setting would be ambiguous, and the party would likely serve an advanced elven kingdom amongst poorer vassal states and nations of dubious moral quality. I would still borrow familiar tropes and twist them a bit, though. For instance, I want to use the drow/dark-elves, but take some examples from Jack Vance to explain their culture and society rather than anything made by Salvatore. Anyway, those are my random thoughts I have yet to really do anything with, so if you have any thoughts or ideas I'd love to hear them.

Remove ads