Dual-wielding two big swords

jaults

First Post
I am trying to model a figure from a miniatures game (specifically, the Exemplar Seneschal from Privateer Press' Warmachine, seen here: http://www.privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/gallery/default.php?level=picture&id=189). I believe the two swords he wields are bastard swords. It has been a while since I've built a high level character (we are shooting for around 10th level), and while I have the Complete books and the Book of Nine Swords, I have not fully grokked everything in them.

What is the best way to have a character that can dual-wield two swords that are normally too big to do so effectively, using only (or at least mainly) feats? My initial plan is to make the character a human Ftr/Crusader -- some of the Devoted Spirit maneuvers and stances are nearly perfect in modeling the abilities from the miniatures game.

Thanks,
Jason

Sejs

First Post
EWP [Bastard Sword]
Two-Weapon Fighting (and later Improved and Greater TWF)
Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting
Monkey Grip.

Use a large bastard sword in your main hand, and a medium bastard sword in your off hand.

Lots of to-hit penalties associated with doing this though, just so you're aware. It's doable, but it ain't accurate.

If you don't want to use a large bastard sword in your main (~ you cannot use one in your off hand), and instead just want to use two medium bastard swords, you can drop Monkey Grip.

irdeggman

First Post
You can't wield two two-handed weapons (sized appropriately) at the same time.

You can wield two bastard swords though - if you have the exotic weapon (bastard sword) feat.

But you will not be able to get to less than -4/-4 though since the weapon is not light and you will need the two weapon fighting feat to get there.

Otherwise it is -6/-10

Dimwhit

Explorer
irdeggman said:
But you will not be able to get to less than -4/-4 though since the weapon is not light and you will need the two weapon fighting feat to get there.

(Without looking it up) I believe that's where Over-sized Two-Weapon Fighting comes in. Treats the off-hand medium weapon as light. So you could indeed wield 2 bastards swords at -2/-2.

I think.

dagger

Adventurer
Dimwhit said:
(Without looking it up) I believe that's where Over-sized Two-Weapon Fighting comes in. Treats the off-hand medium weapon as light. So you could indeed wield 2 bastards swords at -2/-2.

I think.

You are correct, with Oversized it would be -2/-2.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
jaults said:
What is the best way to have a character that can dual-wield two swords that are normally too big to do so effectively, using only (or at least mainly) feats?

I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, since it relies upon magic items, but if you've got 100k gold spare, then two sunblades are what you want - look like bastard swords, hit like bastard swords, but it feels to the wielder as if it were a short sword - and TWF with dual shortswords is a fine and well-hewn path with those nice TWF feats :)

If you could only afford 1 sunblade, you can use that in your offhand and a normal bastard sword in your main hand with standard TWF penalties too.

Just mentioning it as an option there, since it is fully core books and doesn't depend upon any other sources.

Cheers

jaults

First Post
dagger said:
You are correct, with Oversized it would be -2/-2.
Fantastic. Thanks for your help, guys. I think that will work perfectly.

Second question: in Warmachine, the Seneschal has a Chain Attack. If he hits with his two initial sword attack, he can make a third attack which slams the opponent away (d6 inches, which is ~5-30 feet) and knocks them down. I was thinking of taking Martial Study: Mighty Throw to approximate this, but is there a better way out there? Some of the higher level Setting Sun maneuvers would actually work even better, but their prereqs are too harsh. With only so many feats, I can't afford to use them to get the prereq maneuvers...

Thanks,
Jason

jaults

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, since it relies upon magic items, but if you've got 100k gold spare, then two sunblades are what you want - look like bastard swords, hit like bastard swords, but it feels to the wielder as if it were a short sword - and TWF with dual shortswords is a fine and well-hewn path with those nice TWF feats :)

If you could only afford 1 sunblade, you can use that in your offhand and a normal bastard sword in your main hand with standard TWF penalties too.

Just mentioning it as an option there, since it is fully core books and doesn't depend upon any other sources.

Cheers
Hmmm... that would be good, but we are using an IK setting, so sunblades are probably out of the question.

Thanks,
Jason

Remove ads