• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dude Where's My Ring? (DM: garyh, Judge: Ozymandias79)

RedBeardJim

First Post
Morvannon hesitates before entering the forest. "Something about this isn't right. These are city people -- they know the back ways and alleys of Daunton like a mouse knows its den. Why would they enter into a forest full of dangerous creatures? What would drive them to such a course? This doesn't make sense...."

[sblock=OOC]Insight check (+7) to try to get a sense of their state of mind = 22[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini-stats]Morvannon Rinael- Level 1 Half-Elf Warlock
Passive Perception:10, Passive Insight:17, Senses: Low-light
AC:15, Fortitude:12, Reflex:14, Will:15 -- Speed:6, Size: Medium
HP: 27/27, Bloodied 13, Surge Value 6, Surges left 8/8
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers -
Eldritch Blast
Eyebite
Warlock's Curse (minor)
Misty Step (Warlock Pact Boon)
Witchfire
Scorching Burst (Dilettante power)

Curse of the Dark Dream[/sblock]

garyh

First Post
Craggen just grunts at the shifter, and keeps walking back to town. Nonetheless, Kamotz is able to get a very faint whiff of a perfume popular amongst the lower nobility. Perhaps Gwendolyn still bore some of that scent when she passed this way (Perception success).

Magnus spots a deer track heading north-northwest that lines up with the scent Kamotz detected (Nature success).

Vrrsk't is unable to find any clues. Perhaps being brought in mid-search will be harder than expected (Perception failure). OOC: Yes, you can use Aid Another for your "turn."

Morvannon realizes that if the pair were fleeing the city, it was likely for one or both of two reasons... either they had cheated the Red Boots so badly no where in Daunton would be safe, or they were fleeing to meet up with someone too dangerous to venture into the city themselves. (Insight success).

[sblock=H.M. Gimlord]Since a skill challenge has negative consequences for failure, you can't take 10. Please pick one skill each round, and roll on Invisible Castle.[/sblock]

Skill Challenge: Navigate the Starkreach Woods to track Dennis and Gwendolyn.
Complexity 5 (Requires 12 successes before 3 failures)
Primary skills: Nature, Perception
Secondary skills: Endurance, Insight

3 Successes, 1 Failure.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=Skill Check:]

Perception = 1d20+10 = 12+10 = 22

[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC:]garyh,

Sorry about the taking ten. I was on my ipod, and hoping that I could do that without having to jump back and forth between websites. Cutting and pasting URLs on that thing is a pain. I'm back on my laptop and rolling.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
Vrrsk't, it seems you are used to taking point. Instead why don't you walk beside me, and we will both walk before the others in the pack. This way I will show you about the forest.

Kamotz continues on all fours, explaining what each rough patch of dirt or snapped twig could convey. Looking back to Mikara often, both for her input, and to find the next step on the trail.

See Vrrsk't the woods, like Magnus explained, are as a living creature. They can die.
Just as no one can enter your life, without leaving signs of passing, no one may enter the forest, without leaving signs of passing.

Turning to spot Magnus, Kamotz smiles, and pauses for the group to catch up.
It may be some time before we find our quarry. Even so, we should actively be trying to sneak up on our prey.

When the group breaks back into marching order, Kamotz begins explaining to Vrrsk't, while walking on two legs.

I'll start at the beginning of the contract and bring you to current.

Kamotz pulls some paperwork from his robes as he explains, starting just after the signing of the contract, and bringing Vrrsk't up to current. Answering questions and giving names. After a thorough shuffling, the paperwork is returned to Kamotz robes.

Paperwork secure Kamotz turns to ask Movannon about his opinion on the prey, just before speaking, Kamotz walks into a large tree.

HHOOOWOO!! Howls Kamotz, as his scythe is brought viciously to bear against the tree.

Mikara, That Tree attacked me! Strike it down!

Kamotz faces the tree, and gives it a scowl. Oh, stand still now that everyone is watching... You are a crafty bugger, round one, Forest...

Kamotz dusts himself off, and using his scythe as a walking stick, resumes sniffing at the air, while chatting with Vrrsk't

Now that you are most of the way up to speed, and the whole of the forest knows where I am located, clever Tree, shall we try to be a bit more discreet in our search?

[sblock=OOC]
7 perception 1 Stealth

19 vs AC for 8 damage and Mikara gains a +4 to her attack vs the tree if it hits

I call the award for "most 1's rolled in a single turn"!:-S

H.M. I have the itouch as well, and yeah posting with it, almost impossible. I haven't figured out how to copy/paste yet.:erm:
[sblock=meta]
Seeing how close we now are to failing...
Shall we all assist one person, or something similar to do our best at success?
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
Vrrsk't walks with Kamotz, listening intently and nodding in all the right places. After Kamotz puts the contract away, Vrrsk't seems a bit lost in thought, trying to put all of the events together in his head.

Kamotz's howl and swinging scythe bring the big dragonborn back from wherever he was in his own head. Alarmed by Kamotz's melee with foliage, Vrrsk't overreacts and begins shouting menacingly at the tree as he draws his flail.

"Hold fast, foul creature! He is not your concern. Face me and be judged by the might of the very sun above your head! If you are worthy, you shall come to no harm. Face me coward, and learn your fate!"

Seeing that the tree is, indeed, merely a tree, Vrrsk't composes himself, putting away his strangely-built flail, which seems to be made of scales and teeth. "Good choice," he snarls at the tree victoriously, though also seemingly disappointed in its unwillingness to face him in combat.

He then joins Mikara again, hoping to be more help in her search. "Look! over there!" he exclaims, pointing at another tree. "Never mind... thought I saw something..."

[sblock=Skill Check]1d20+3=8 in an attempt to Aid Another on Mikara's next Perception roll.

Also, um, Divine Challenge on that tree. I think it should take some radiant damage next time it "attacks" someone. :)[/sblock]
[sblock=meta]Mikara's +10 on Perception, plus the +1 we get on our Perception rolls to Aid her, seems like the best bet mathematically, though it may take a while, if we want to all try to Aid and have Mikara do all the tracking.[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Mikara hums a tune in her head:

Light punches the ground
through leaves all around
frilly little fools in the forest.

Trampled road
and croaking toad
scold the little fools in the forest.

Silly Kamotz is so busy revealing his ignorance that he doesn't see that tree...

Kamotz! No! Mikara's sarcastic mirth turns quickly to anger.
Mikara nocks an arrow in her bow and moves silently, and unnoticed, off the path in an attempt to overtake the group.

[sblock=Skill Check]
Stealth = 1d20+9 = 26
Stealth = 1d20+9 = 15 to remain hidden during movement. Dang! Oh well....
[/sblock]

Finding subtle movement impossible in the dry underbrush, she emerges from her hiding place onto the path with the bowstring drawn to her cheek, she takes aim alternating between the shifter and the dragonborn (earlier, they had names, but now they are only targets), she calls forward softly, but with an as yet unrevealed degree of anger.

"Hear me O tree foes!
You speak of what you know not.

Raise weapons again
against this wood and the trees
aren't all you need fear!

A staff for walking
Is better use for your scythe;
your flail for our foes."

Mikara's scowl does not fade as she puts her arrow back in its quiver.

"I think I should take point from now on."

With an air of disgust, and unforgiving malice, she moves toward the front of the group. She looks straight ahead, no longer acknowledging her targets (for until they prove otherwise, that is what they will remain).

[sblock=OOC:]Sorry for the outburst, but she's a violent treehugger. Check the fluff on her sheet with the link below[/sblock]

RedBeardJim

First Post
Morvannon looks around in unease. *I do not like the looks of these woods.*
*you don't like the look of any woods*
*Well, pardon me. I grew up in a magic academy, I like having a roof over my head.*
*get over it. trust me.*

Moving over to Magnus, he asks, "Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Hey....what's that?"

[sblock=OOC]Perception check to Aid Another for Magnus's next check: 1d20+0 = 15. Woo, Invisible Castle likes me today![/sblock]

Oni

First Post
Magnus burst into that wheezing cackle as the others fought the forest and one another.

Hehehe...and they call me mad...hehehe.

Morvannon's question shook him out of his laughing fit. The dwarf looked up at him as though he didn't quite know who he was for a moment before turning to investigate what the half-elf was pointing at.

What is that...what is that...a fair question if ever there was one...

Magnus crouched down to take a closer look.

[sblock=ooc]

Perception (1d20+3+2+1=13)

If you don't have any kind of relevant skill then aid another is the way to go, but everyone aid training one person might be a bit over the top, this will take forever if we spent days posting aid other checks just trying to power through to success.

[/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]Magnus Madiron- Male Dwarven Wizard 1
Initiative: +0, Passive Perception: 13, Passive Insight: 18, Senses: Low-light
AC:15, Fort:12, Reflex:14, Will:15 -- Speed:5
HP:25/25, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:8/8
Action Points: 1
Powers -
Cloud of Daggers
Thunderwave

Grasping Shadows
Staff of Defense
Second Wind

Flaming Sphere

Conditions:

Full character sheet[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
The Tree attacked me! You're on their side.

Kamotz stands poised to react as Mikara takes point.

Thinking to himself,
Good, you walk in front of me, and the next time you turn on us, I'll reap your traitorous head.

(edit) When Vrrsk't finishes ranting,(edit)

Kamotz leans in and whispers to Vrrsk't,
She has shown her true intent. I'm not sure if she will turn traitor for any evil and enchanted Tree, or just this grove. Who could know?

Kamotz broods on in his mind,
That Tree was very cunning to strike so quickly and stealthily, I wonder if Magnus or Morvannon even noticed the diabolical plant? Mikara did lead us to it though... Maybe she is just taking point to show us the way into a trap...

[sblock=Clarification]

H.M. no hard feelings :D

I won't let Kamotz do PvP, some inter-character conflict makes for fun reading, however actual conflict is no good.

Just wanted to clarify.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads