DUNE Movie: Thoughts, Opinions, and Impressions

Not to mention that it leads to jarring American pronunciations like "HAR-kuh-nin" and Beast "Rabbin."
Given that Herbert was from Tacoma, that is presumably how he intended them to be pronounced? As well as Doon, which was the name of the planet in the Lynch version.

Argyle King

Legend
I agree with portions of what the OP said: visually, the movie looks good; but the story seems very stripped down.

I feel as though the world-building efforts of the movie are pretty good. A lot of time is put into explaining the backdrop of the setting, why things are the way they are, and how the general ecology of the setting kinda works.

Unfortunately, in contrast, the methods chosen for telling the actual story sometimes feel a bit empty.

I more-or-less enjoyed it because I was already invested in the idea of a new Dune movie. For the average movie-goer, I think it's going to be a little painful to sit through the entire thing. The movie doesn't do a great job of inviting the audience into the story.

At 2.5 hours long for "part 1," I think it would have been better to film a 1-season mini-series for a streaming platform and space out the world building so as to have time to tell the story and give more substance to the dialogue and characters.

The movie has a good ensemble cast but doesn't make much use of the cast.

•looks cool
•good world building
•somewhat dry approach to storytelling

Dune ends up being a mostly-good amusement park ride or visual spectacle, while also simultaneously being a kinda meh movie.

Mercurius

Legend
Lynch's version is a very flawed masterpiece. Such great atmosphere and Lynchian weirdness, but hugely rushed in the second half, and of course the poor casting choice of Sting. But the first half or so is great.

Kind of disappointed to hear the impressions in the OP. Oh well, at least it will be pretty to look at.

And to the OP, Chalamet was great in Beautiful Boy.

R_J_K75

Legend
Not really. The story has a logical mid point, and that is where it ends. It did not feel abrupt to me at all.

I also strongly disagree with the OP. I consider this movie a masterpiece, and superior to Lynch's film in almost every way. Go see it in the theater.
Good to know that it ends at a logical point.

SPOILER: If I had to guess is it when Paul first rides the Sandworm?

Iron Maiden: Can we.name our new song Dune?
Herbert: I dont like Heavy Metal groups.

Argyle King

Legend
Second thoughts after another viewing:

The movie is roughly 2.5 hours long.

The first 1.5 hours is still more-or-less what I've said in my previous comment. It's a lot of set up and world-building (which is good) while also being a bit dry in terms of getting to the actual story.

The last 45 minutes or so starts to get into telling a rather good story. Then it's over.

The choice of place to stop makes sense.

Thinking back on it all, my opinion is that a large chunk of this movie feels a bit like a prologue. It's a necessary prologue to understand the stage upon which the story takes place and to understand who the characters are and why they're there, but it's not always an enjoyable ride to sit through. I wouldn't say it's bad; but a few parts are (as said) a bit dry. It's occasionally rough to sit through in the same way that Season 1 of Game of Thrones was necessary to set the stage but had episodes which were dry until the ball got rolling.

Once the movie gets to the actual story, I think it's an enjoyable ride, but one which ends quickly. In some ways that's a good thing because it stops at a point where you're left wanting to see more. On the other hand, I believe that how the entire story is ultimately viewed will depend upon how much time the audience is required to wait before seeing the next part.

Most of the cast seems fine when the actors are actually acting and not just kinda standing around.

Dave Bautista seemed fine for the part for which he was chosen. It'll be hard to judge before seeing the next part. Still, I think his acting has improved over the past few years. He seems to be putting effort into his craft.

Jason Momoa wasn't great. I don't expect a wide range from him. Though, even without high expectations, it was one of his weaker performances. I was bummed by that because I actually like some of the work he's done in other shows and movies. Here, it just didn't seem as though he was putting in his best effort.

I enjoyed the movie enough to want to see more. Simultaneously, I still think that a portion of the movie will be a bumpy experience for those unfamiliar with the source material.

Remove ads