DUNE Movie: Thoughts, Opinions, and Impressions

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I found No Time To Die and especially Shang Chi to be more entertaining than Dune. I find Dune to be a much better film though. It feels much more real and relevant to me. It's one of those films that keeps drawing me back to it. When I watched No Time to Die and Shang Chi I left the theater very satisfied, but I was pretty much done with them. I would watch either of them again, but I don't feel like I have to. I have watched Dune 3 times now and fully expect to feel compelled to watch it several more times.

Retreater

Legend
For me, Dune was one of those movies like the LOTR movies. I knew they were going to be long, but I'm so in love with the milieu and the lore that it's easy for me to just sit back and just lose myself in them for a few hours.
For me, LotR wasn't a great theater experience. Each film was too long to enjoy and take in during a single sitting. However, I preferred the Extended Editions, splitting each over several nights at home.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
So, I didn't watch the show, but I have read the books to date.

In the books, Daenaeryes is pretty horrible. It is clearly given to us early on that her family is prone to mental illness through a combination of breeding and abuse. She projects an air of innocence and good intentions, and she is initially in the position of a victim. But then you look at her actions after that point - she slaughters people by the thousands for not doing what she wants. Her dedication to "freedom" is really only dedication to her.

It is pretty clear that she is her brother's sister, a Targaryen though and through. And they were not beneficent rulers. Her turning on anyone who allied with her is perfectly in character for her, and should come as no surprise.
In a word, no.
In a longer set of words, Daenerys is young, abused, impressionable, and idealistic and all of that, plus her success with the dragon hatching and warfare, leads her into a Messianic complex. She honestly, earnestly, and compassionately tries to make things better in her campaigns against the slavers around Slaver's Bay but turns to the tried and true revolutionary method of eradicating the opposition when they prove they won't accept the new order or interfere with her "children" - the dragons. Every attempt she makes to improve things leads to tragedy that she personally feels responsible for. And that also leads her into believing she's the only one who can bear her burden - hence the Messianic complex.
She isn't mad at the start. There's no indication she's mad at the start. Events and tragedies lead her in that direction which seems to make her different from other Targaryen nutcases.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
In a word, no.
In a longer set of words, Daenerys is young, abused, impressionable, and idealistic and all of that, plus her success with the dragon hatching and warfare, leads her into a Messianic complex. She honestly, earnestly, and compassionately tries to make things better in her campaigns against the slavers around Slaver's Bay but turns to the tried and true revolutionary method of eradicating the opposition when they prove they won't accept the new order or interfere with her "children" - the dragons. Every attempt she makes to improve things leads to tragedy that she personally feels responsible for. And that also leads her into believing she's the only one who can bear her burden - hence the Messianic complex.
She isn't mad at the start. There's no indication she's mad at the start. Events and tragedies lead her in that direction which seems to make her different from other Targaryen nutcases.
All mad kings, Queens, and leaders are sympathetic if you know their stories.

Remove ads