Dune Official Trailer

My fear is it's actually good but due to Covid makes no money and we don't get part 2.
I believe the "logic" behind the money films make is a bit changed during the Corona restrictions - they will look for top performers, but they might not necessarily expect them to be actually profitable because the cinemas are forced to operate at reduced capacity and a lot of people are not going to go because of the risks associated with public gatherings in closed rooms. Some might really just release these movies now because they can't actually afford sitting on all of the cost for another year or so.

So the movie only has to be successful compared to other movies this year, not actually break any records or be competitive with movies from previous years.
Of course, there could be some movie-related companies that might be financially ruined and not be able to make new movies, or help make new movies.

It could also be that the next movies coming up with need to be at lower budgets because money is tight and they can't take such big leaps anymore.

It looks pretty good but kind of...empty. Lynch's film, despite its flaws, was deeply atmospheric and weird, with a real mystical quality. Based on this trailer, this seems more vanilla. But we'll see.

This was my initial reaction, too. It looks like it could be a good movie, but a lot of the CGI was a bit same-y. I'll definitely still watch it, but my hopes are

I really with they hadn't shown us the sand worm at all.

Also, I will take any opportunity to share this (warning: some language):

Of course, there could be some movie-related companies that might be financially ruined and not be able to make new movies, or help make new movies.

It could also be that the next movies coming up with need to be at lower budgets because money is tight and they can't take such big leaps anymore.

The last economic crisis made us lose Guillermo Del Toro's version of The Hobbit and replaced it with Peter Jackson's trilogy. I will never forgive the financial industry for this travesty.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
WHo is the lead? dont recognise him

I have a very emo vibe from it - or is it French?

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
It
How far into the book does this go? Not far? Hoping we get the whole book over time.....
”Roughly the first half”. Don’t know where exactly it’s going to finish off, but they aim to make it a satisfying story that can standalone (presumably in case they can’t make the sequel).

Hopefully we won’t end up with it being like he old animated Lord of the Rings, which only told half the story.

Kaodi

Hero
I really love Blade Runner 2049 and I like Villeneuve's work as a rule. But something about this just seems a little off to me. Like, it does not feel quite gritty enough or something. Which is ironic given that the film is about a desert planet, ;) .

Maybe it has been too long since I read the combat described in the books. But what I do remember is that the Fremen thought Paul was messing with them because he always hesitated with his blows. But that was due to how personal shields work. Yet the melee combat between shielded opponents looks really fast?

Remove ads